Home dbx User Forum dbx Archive Threads Zone Pro 640/641 Zone Pro 640/641 General Discussion

Zone Pro 640 priority override question

Hello everyone, this is my first post in the DBX forum. I am inquiring about a issue that one of my customers is facing.
Currently, they have a bar which plays music off an iPod but when someone plays a song on their touchtunes jukebox, the zone pro is setup to automatically switch to the jukebox. When the song is finished, it then switches back to the ipod. Exactly as it should.

The problem is, the bartenders have no control over the jukebox, thus if a song is played that is not a "crowd pleaser", they want to be able to override the jukebox priority and only play music off the iPod.

For control, they have a ZC-8. Ideally, it would be nice to have one of the options on the controller to be an "Auto" mode, which enables the automatic switch over a described above. Then have the other options act as a "Manual" mode, where only the source selected would play (iPod, JukeBox, TV Cable box).

I played around with settings in the DBX designer but cant seem to come up with a way to have jukebox priority only apply to option "A" on the ZC-8. Any assistance/ideas are appreciated, Thank you for taking the time to read my post!

Comments

• DraDra Posts: 3,777
    What you describe seems interpretive. Almost like needing the ZonePro to determine if the song is good. Ha.

One solution would be to wire a DPDT (assuming unbalanced) switch in the jukeboxes signal path to the ZonePro. When the signal is terminated the ZonePro will release the control back to the IPOD. Knowing when to flip the switch back could be an issue because you won't know how many songs they selected (in theory).
    If you use a switch, break the signal wire, not the ground. The ground will make a audible pop.

Looking into a programming set that does what you need.
    Is this a 3 input source, 1 output zone set-up? Is paging override function in use?

DRA
    This might work.

I'll assume that there is a paging mic in use in ML1. Page ducking must be INF, regardless.
    Use a 2nd Ipod (or other source) into the ML2 input (switch to LINE). (Or... run a 2nd line to a single Ipod position for manual insertion swapping)
    When signal enters the ML2 it will duck the normal source (Ipod 1) and the Priority source (Jukebox).
    Paging override control can be ML1, ML2, or ML1/ML2.

Does that seem functional?

DRA
  • Thank you much for the input! This is very feasible. Fortunately I ran 2 balanced wires to the location where the ipod is so it can be a very quick and easy fix as you suggested.

You are right about it being interpretive. Occasionally the young clientele of the bar plays a song (just to mess around) like "Barbie Girl" and spoils the mood for the bar.

I re-read my original post and thought I could word it better. Your manual suggestions are ones I am going to use if there is no further solution.

Basically, the zone pro controller (ZC-8) allows you to control the source. Next, the zone pro designer lets you choose the priority and page overrides. I guess the root of the question is can/how can the priority and paging overrides be custom/changed based off the source that is selected on the keypad, rather than fixed for all keypad options.

Basically, the zone pro controller (ZC-8) allows you to control the source. Next, the zone pro designer lets you choose the priority and page overrides. I guess the root of the question is can/how can the priority and paging overrides be custom/changed based off the source that is selected on the keypad, rather than fixed for all keypad options.

Yes, I understand that. I would be nice to have every source selection by the ZC-8 to have a different priority override, but since all the sources could all be on at the same time, that would be a mess for the person manning the ZC-8. In order for the jukebox to be heard, the ZC-8 would have to select the Ipod. And for the Ipod to be heard, the TV would have to be selected. All this unless, the jukebox or TV wasn't playing then the actual source would have to be selected. aarrrggggg.

Here is a third option. One that could open up a can of worms, but I'll give it.
    Give them full time access to Designer. Leave the Router page open. If they don't like the song from the jukebox, they can change the Priority to none. Then change it back to Jukebox after a bit.
    I didn't say it was a good option. Just an option.

DRA