Home dbx User Forum dbx Live & Portable Products

Venu360 - Input and Output meter / gain

Hello, well, here is a newbie question:

I'm trying to set the input and output meter level on the venu360 for my equipment. Here is the setup

Mixer - Midas M32R Live -> Venu360 -> Electro-voice Evolve 30M's & ELX 200SP Subwoofer
Midas main out 7&8
Venu360 input 1 and 2 analog (Planning to switch to AES3 later when the DL32 is available)
Venu360 output 1 and 2 to L R Evolve 30M speaker crossover at 100HZ Linkwitz 12db/oct
Venu360 output 3 to ELX 200SP subwoofer Crossover at 100HZ Linkwitz 24db/oct High pass at 40HZ 12db/oct butterworth

• Sub phase at -35 degrees: Inverted the sub and played 100HZ through venu360 and adjusted until it was the quietest then changed back to normal.
    Does the cross over seem correct? Any suggestions? I was surprised by the -35 degree phase

I've switched the input meters to +20dbu with 0 db on the master in the Venu360 to match the Midas M32R. Is this correct? Sending pink noise at -16 db from the Midas at unity and it looks like that is correct with the clip levels on the venu360 when pushing the fader to almost +10 on the midas.

With the speakers muted I tested the same thing on the output meters with the default settings and it looks ok. Clipping is happening slightly after the input when pushing the mixer hard. Should I change the output clip meter settings to match the Electro-voice evolve 30M and ELX 200SP sub?

Thanks for your help. I ended up doing this because at lower levels the meters were not registering on the Venu360?

Comments

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,360

@chadrg said:
    Hello, well, here is a newbie question:

I'm trying to set the input and output meter level on the venu360 for my equipment. Here is the setup

Mixer - Midas M32R Live -> Venu360 -> Electro-voice Evolve 30M's & ELX 200SP Subwoofer
    Midas main out 7&8
    Venu360 input 1 and 2 analog (Planning to switch to AES3 later when the DL32 is available)
    Venu360 output 1 and 2 to L R Evolve 30M speaker crossover at 100HZ Linkwitz 12db/oct
    Venu360 output 3 to ELX 200SP subwoofer Crossover at 100HZ Linkwitz 24db/oct High pass at 40HZ 12db/oct butterworth

• Sub phase at -35 degrees: Inverted the sub and played 100HZ through venu360 and adjusted until it was the quietest then changed back to normal.
      Does the cross over seem correct? Any suggestions? I was surprised by the -35 degree phase

I've switched the input meters to +20dbu with 0 db on the master in the Venu360 to match the Midas M32R. Is this correct? Sending pink noise at -16 db from the Midas at unity and it looks like that is correct with the clip levels on the venu360 when pushing the fader to almost +10 on the midas.

With the speakers muted I tested the same thing on the output meters with the default settings and it looks ok. Clipping is happening slightly after the input when pushing the mixer hard. Should I change the output clip meter settings to match the Electro-voice evolve 30M and ELX 200SP sub?

Thanks for your help. I ended up doing this because at lower levels the meters were not registering on the Venu360?

You can look up your manufacturer of your speakers suggested slope/curve. We do not keep a record of what speakers use what.

You will want to adjust both the analog input/output clip adjustments to match your equipment clip meters and headroom yes.

• chadrgchadrg Posts: 2

I looked up the information for the Electro-voice Evolve 30M and ELX-200 SP but I don't see anything related to clip meters etc. Could you point me in the right direction?

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,360

@chadrg said:
    I looked up the information for the Electro-voice Evolve 30M and ELX-200 SP but I don't see anything related to clip meters etc. Could you point me in the right direction?

Contact their support and they should be able to give you the clip level.