Home dbx User Forum dbx General Discussion

My Shure SM7B Mic is picking up some click sounds randomly

Hey!

I have a Shure SM7B Mic and I use DBX 286S along with focusrite. For some reason I noticed that my mic is picking up click sounds when I talk. For sure its not the mouse clicks, because I recorded few audio episodes which doesn't include mouse clicks and even then I noticed the click sounds.

Any help on this will be much appreciated. Have been struggling to fix it since 6 months.

Thanks in Advance.

Answers

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,365

Does it go away when you adjust Gate/Expander settings? You may want to have your 286s sent in for service if it sounds like a signal integrity issue. Contact hprotechsupportUSA@harman.com for more assistance

• scytechscytech Posts: 148

Are you sure that the dbx is the cause? The focusrite's sensitive input might be overloaded because of a too strong peaky signal from the dbx and then cause some audible distortion perceived as clicks when recorded and processed.
    To make sure, you can evaluate the dbx unit through its output with a pair of headphones! Then, if clicks are still audible, then try to lower output gain. Also, if the output is already set to a nominal level, try with Process Bypass on; If still audible, try lowering the input gain. If still audible, then yes the dbx should be looked at! That was the last try or the microphone has a sensibility issue to generate clicks! :smile:
    Now, if the clicks have disappeared when monitoring through headphones, then the focusrite could be the possible cause. More investigation will be necessary. I've had instances where clicks were heard because of a ground loop between a laptop's psu and the dbx ac cable in the same ac vicinity.

• HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,365

@scytech said:
    Are you sure that the dbx is the cause? The focusrite's sensitive input might be overloaded because of a too strong peaky signal from the dbx and then cause some audible distortion perceived as clicks when recorded and processed.
    To make sure, you can evaluate the dbx unit through its output with a pair of headphones! Then, if clicks are still audible, then try to lower output gain. Also, if the output is already set to a nominal level, try with Process Bypass on; If still audible, try lowering the input gain. If still audible, then yes the dbx should be looked at! That was the last try or the microphone has a sensibility issue to generate clicks! :smile:
    Now, if the clicks have disappeared when monitoring through headphones, then the focusrite could be the possible cause. More investigation will be necessary. I've had instances where clicks were heard because of a ground loop between a laptop's psu and the dbx ac cable in the same ac vicinity.

Good info to look into as well