Home Crown User Forum Crown Amplifiers

XLS DriveCore 2 Series - Link/Out functionality 1/4" Jack

CrimsonBlueCrimsonBlue Posts: 4
edited March 2019 in Crown Amplifiers

I own (6) XLS1002 amps and (2) XLS2002 amps. I have a few questions in order to use them to their full potential:

1. On the back of the XLS series amps, there is a 1/4" jack that is labeled Link/Out. The literature states that this can be used as a standard Line Input, implying that the user has the option between RCA, 1/4", and XLR. Is the Link/Out truly a 1/4" Line Input jack?

2. As the Link/Out name implies, it appears to also be a Line Out, which can daisy chain the original input signal (from RCA or XLR) and pass that to another Crown XLS amp. Is the 1/4" jack also a signal output jack, regardless of the other Line Input (RCA, XLR) that the user has chosen?

3. If I am running inputs into the XLR jacks and I want to mirror (daisy-chain) that same input signal to other Crown XLS amps, would I use a 1/4" --> 1/4" cable between them? Or, is that not safe? What are the options for daisy-chaining amps? Can the 1/4" jack (Link/Out) be connected to another XLS amp's 1/4" Link/Out jack, to the RCA, or the XLR? Which options are safe and provide the best sound?

4. Do the XLS series amps start rolling off at 30hz or can the Low/Band Pass be set below that so that we can have the amp's full potential down below 20hz into the 16-18hz range? Do you have any charts that show falloff rates?

Comments

• addyaddy Posts: 5

"On the back of the XLS series amps, there is a 1/4" jack that is labeled Link/Out. The literature states that this can be used as a standard Line Input, implying that the user has the option between RCA, 1/4", and XLR. Is the Link/Out truly a 1/4" Line Input jack?"

The 1/4 in jack is line out only, there is no 1/4 line in. I am currently using one of these in my home setup, the 1/4 in out to daisy chain another power amp(not a crown), with rca/in going to the crown from the source. Have not operated with the xlr inputs.

As far as I can tell, the crown is only passively allowing the input signal to pass through it, and so the next amp daisy chained to it will be creating an additional load in parallel to the crown, so the number of amps one can daisy chain would be limited depending on the pre out amp of your source, if I disconnect the daisy chained amp in my system the volume rises on the crown(indicating that my preamp is struggling with the extra load)

I'm not really sure on the logic of using 1/4 in out jacks here(perhaps its so there is no confusion, rca in / 1/4 in out).

In regards to the low/high pass filter, I'm sure the crown is rated 20-20kHz to < 1 dB so can't imagine the drop off at 18 Hz would be significant. If the amp is purely for a sub, you'd be setting the filter to something like <80Hz ?

• addyaddy Posts: 5

sorry, the 1/4 in jacks can be used as inputs, given it looks like a passive connection. That would imply one could also daisy chain off the rca inputs, but they are not described as such so there maybe electronics there that don't allow this.

• Thanks Addy! Did you test the 1/4 jacks as inputs to confirm?

I could see 3 conductor TRS 1/4” connectors used to be both the output and input as a true 1/4” link between Crown amps. Anyone able to confirm that?

I’m trying to split a signal to multiple subs and surrounds, so the easy play would be to daisy chain amps, but I can also use a Behringer XLR splitter to take the input and split to multiple amp inputs.

Anyone from Crown want to weigh in?
  • @CrimsonBlue said:

The amps 1/4" can be used as an input, as they are paralleled onto the RCA and XLR inputs. You could theoretically use the RCA's to link out of the unit, but I wouldn't recommend it as it would be unbalanced at that point and you potentially could end up with noise/hum issues.

• @HARMAN_Manny said:

@CrimsonBlue said:

The amps 1/4" can be used as an input, as they are paralleled onto the RCA and XLR inputs. You could theoretically use the RCA's to link out of the unit, but I wouldn't recommend it as it would be unbalanced at that point and you potentially could end up with noise/hum issues.

Thanks Manny!

Regarding the frequency response of this amp line, do you have any charts showing the rolloff curve? Something like the attached example?

I know a lot of people are using these amps for home theater (subwoofer) use, and Behringer gains thousands of sales because of its included DSP, even though Crowns amps are actually better made. The lack of a true DSP is disappointing, especially since the Band Pass only allows selections down to 30hz. This limits us to only using the Low Pass (@ 100hz, etc.) so that we can use subwoofers down in the ranges below 20hz.

We know that the XLS amps will playback frequencies in the teens, but we're not sure how steep the rolloff actually is. Thanks!

• SamPhamSamPham Posts: 2

This all sounds complex and sort of non descript. My question is similar in nature though as I am getting ready to purchase this amp. Is the 1/4" inch link/out basically a dual purpose plug? Meaning both line level in and line level out? I will be sending my audio signal into the amp via the RCA inputs from my computer/interface. I then wish to use the "link/out" plugs as a line level signal to send to an RTA/EQ (purely for aesthetic and visual purposes). Will those plugs allow me to do this? Can they function as a line level output? Or is there more going on here? Thanks.

• Yep -- 1/4" jack is both a line input, and also a line output.

• SamPhamSamPham Posts: 2

... good to hear. Thanks!

• John57John57 Posts: 1

If I use the XLR balanced connection for the inputs, does the 1/4 link output is balanced or unbalanced?

• same question as John57 -- looking to buy cables to daisy-chain to a second 1502 -- should they be TRS ¼" to balanced XLR? i'd love to have balanced signal all the way through if possible!