Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft Mixing Consoles

Notepad 8FX problems

I recently got a new Notepad 8FX and I really want to love it. The problem is that I used it for the first time last night to stream and the sound online was absolutely unusable. Not just bad, it was completely distorted and just noise. It sounded just fine through the headphones and it was not clipping or doing anything unusual on the meters in OBS, but when I went back and listened to the broadcast, I was beyond disappointed. My first problem was OBS not finding the mixer as a source. That took me quite awhile to work out and I ended up having to download drivers and the Soundcraft program. Finally was able to find it in OBS and it seemed to be working well, but it was not. So it was definitely NOT plug-and-play. This was with a Windows-based computer. I will try it with my MacBook Pro next and hopefully it will be easier.

Love the effects, love the sound, love the footprint and I really want to love the board!! Help me out please!

Comments

• HARMAN_TderHARMAN_Tder Posts: 184

Which version of Windows are you using? Also confirm version of Soundcraft USB control panel/Drivers and what source selection is feeding USB?

• Windows 10 (isn't that the latest?) It is also the latest drivers because I just downloaded them yesterday. Source selection....I don't have it sitting in front of me but I did not press a lot of buttons straight out of the box. I am wanting the main mix for streaming.

I believe the default is Mix LR. This is set in the USB Audio Control Panel. It is worth checking... Otherwise as long as you are on latest drivers there should be no problems. Also check your sample rate- this is set through the Audio Control Panel in Windows. The Soundcraft control panel will automatically adjust to match but it has to be one that we support like 48K or 44.1K.

• Is the Notepad not really plug-and-play then? Do I have to install the drivers and the program to get it to work? It was very difficult just getting the computer to recognize it as an input device. It immediately recognized it as an output device.

On Windows you need to load the driver package and utilize the Soundcraft USB Control Panel but it should be recoginzed automatically by the computer once the drivers are in place.

• Any thoughts on what may be making the sound so bad? Extremely distorted out despite everything on th eboard and in OBS looking fine on the meters.

• Thanks for all the help by the way!

No real idea.. issue with USB driver or port, wrong sample rate, unlikely but try a differnent USB A to B Cable.. Possibly a defective mixer but not a common issue. I would try a simple 2 track recording and see if you have the same issue as you had with OBS. I think this would give some direction on what's going on and woudl allow you to troubleshoot without going live. (Also make sure sample rate on OBS is same as Mixer/Computer)

As always you can try calling US tech support if you are in the states and see if they have any other thoughts. The Harman Support number is 844 776 4899

@sharris70 said:
    Any thoughts on what may be making the sound so bad? Extremely distorted out despite everything on th eboard and in OBS looking fine on the meters.

• Just wanted to update this thread. I have played around with the board, not sure what I did, but I got it to work and just like I was hoping, I love it!! It is the perfect size and it sounds amazing! I have used it with both Mac and PC and it runs like a champ. My favorite application though and the entire reason I was looking for a mixer this small was for mobile streaming. Man, does it ever deliver! my ENTIRE streaming setup now fits in a backpack and can be setup and used anywhere in a matter of minutes! I run the mixer straight into my iPhone, use the iPhone and camera as my streaming device using the Streamlabs app and it works perfectly!!

Thanks for the update! As mentioned previously no other reports so you had me stumped.

@sharris70 said:
    Just wanted to update this thread. I have played around with the board, not sure what I did, but I got it to work and just like I was hoping, I love it!! It is the perfect size and it sounds amazing! I have used it with both Mac and PC and it runs like a champ. My favorite application though and the entire reason I was looking for a mixer this small was for mobile streaming. Man, does it ever deliver! my ENTIRE streaming setup now fits in a backpack and can be setup and used anywhere in a matter of minutes! I run the mixer straight into my iPhone, use the iPhone and camera as my streaming device using the Streamlabs app and it works perfectly!!

• Why is it that when I record audio with the effects turned on, I am able to hear them through my monitoring headphones but ithey are not captured in the recording - I can only hear my voice but not the effects. Please help

• jack_catjack_cat Posts: 14

notepad8fxkvp: eh, you probably should have started your own thread to have any hope of help.
    I don't have a notepad, I have the Sig 10, and there are on it a number of output configurations in which
    the FX might or might not be sent to the aux out or to the usb out. So check carefully all of your settings
    like pre- or post- fader etc, and see if there isn't a setting you have overlooked. Believe me, I have
    overlooked settings like that and felt like a dummy. Seems to me the most probable. Good luck,
    and keep tweaking settings.

• sajancjsajancj Posts: 4

notepad mixers will not use for live stream, because its the usb connection is not routed with output master , its only any two input channels recording purpose only.

• Hey!!
    Sorry to open up an old thread, but as I haven't seen too much about this topic I thought it might be useful to add that I too have encountered the original issue described. I just got the 22MTK (second-hand) and its wonderful, exactly what I wanted. However, every now and then, for no obvious reason, the usb returns just go absolutely nuts with some of the most aggresive distortion I've ever heard. It makes my ears die every time :')
    I just fix it by changing any setting in the control panel and then changing it back. Usually it'll work on the first attempt, otherwise the second, and in the worst case scenario I have to restart my computer a few times.
    I guess that would lead me to believe that this is a software issue with the driver, and not with the mixer itself.
    Hope that info is useful!
    Thank you :)