Home JBL Professional User Forum JBL Pro Software

PRX ONE App suggestions

Hi JBL/Folks.

New purchaser of PRX ONE (Firmware Version 5.0.7.0)
IPad Air 2.
PRX App is v0.0.4(7)

Primarily I will use this in a Duo Act with Folk guests.
Happy so far with the purchase , after much research of the various column speakers on offer in market.

I have some personal mere suggestions, I feel could be a nicer experience with the App.

1. Set Up Page - Save button ( Maybe should be - Load/Save ). This was confusing at 1st
    or possibly adding a Menu on main Mixer screen to Load Saved Mixer Scenes.

2. Channel Strip

• Bigger button or wider sensitivity on Volume control. Seems to lag on occasion, then jumps around in catch up...
  • Possibly a Lock/Un Lock on channel strip (prevent accidental finger mishaps )
  • LED indicator in Channel - Green (signal) Red (Clip) for quick identify on signal /feedback identification
  • Boost/PAD button for Passive/Active instruments.
  1. Parametric EQ
  • EQ - A pop out expanded window for those fine eq tunings
  • Custom EQ - Save and Name) for global use. i.e. Kick Drum, Violin, Flute and Banjo, id like on the fly in any channel strip.
  1. Master Volume Channel
  • Be nice to know the actual true peak/loading on the system on the App. Maybe a 5 LED light indicator.
    That way you can visually see (Low) level instruments, that perhaps should be pushed up in volume from the musician end. And also levelling Blue Tooth music to instruments...

• Global EQ option. Maybe a simple 3 or 4 band EQ. As SUB may need turning down in a small room/hard wall environment). Im a fan of brighten EQing in Folk instruments, and Yamaha do well in this department.

1. General
  • Customise colour scheme (Backgrounds). Day/ Night App colours.
  • Channel Mute RED/GREEN or Channel is Faded
  • Possibly ppl can share their Mixer skins in a Import/Export way.
  • Volume Slider Button (Slim, Wide)

All in all iam very happy with the system and App and can't wait to gig with it.

Thank you
Adam R

Comments

• Aloha, Adam. I hope this works out for you.

I've already played one gig - my once every other week 5 hour gig at a great farmers market yesterday. I've been gigging for over 60 years and I've done stage sound as well as been a recording engineer and producer for over 52 years.

I'm fairly happy with the SOUND of the system. Luckily, it sounded GREAT right out of the box with my Taylor 714CE AND my partner's relatively cheap Taylor nylon string guitar. Best guitar sound I've ever had. We did some acoustic duets yesterday that were classic.

Alas, the APP completely SUCKS!

I was able to struggle through it even though I was completely unhappy with my vocal sound (Neumann KMS105!) for the whole time - the EQ apparently does NOTHING and the presets are awful. In desperation, I ran it just about flat -- as it comes out of the box.

I'm going to post a more complete discussion of the incredible, massive, deal-killing shortcomings of the APP as another subject but I hope it works out for you.

• im glad im not the only one having issues with this thing.

• KirkKirk Posts: 4
    edited October 2021

Just picked one of these up on Sunday. Right out of the box the sound is good, gets better when tuned. The app on my iPad did not work to save my life. Tried it on my android, same thing. Since Sunday, 2 firmware updates, and one app update. This is now a very usable unit with app. Still kind of glitchy, but much better than no control at all. Very impressed with the sound. Currently using a PRX 615m/618sXLF combo. Latest firmware 5.0.9.0?

• @Kirk said:
    Just picked one of these up on Sunday. Right out of the box the sound is good, gets better when tuned. The app on my iPad did not work to save my life. Tried it on my android, same thing. Since Sunday, 2 firmware updates, and one app update. This is now a very usable unit with app. Still kind of glitchy, but much better than no control at all. Very impressed with the sound. Currently using a PRX 615m/618sXLF combo. Latest firmware 5.0.9.0?

I had serious problems getting a decent vocal sound - EQ didn't seem to do much at all, certainly not enough. That and the fatal issues with the APP were the reason I returned mine. Still waiting to find out from vendor whether mine was defective.

Too bad they've apparently discontinued the EXCELLENT, great sounding, simple to use EON ONE.

The EON ONE would be too under powered for me. So far, things are working good. The app, is working a bit better after the unit and app update. I also use a Soundcraft UI16 on occasion, so i can tweak using that, actually tried it last night. I'm looking to get another one and hopefully put them out in the field. Main use, mobile dj.

• Aloha, Kirk

I updated my firmware to PRX: 5.0.7(210809) and APP: v.0.0.4 -- did you get a newer set of updates?

Other than being impossible to change EQ in the APP, I think my other main problem was that I have an older iPad and it probably doesn't have the "fastest" Bluetooth 5. The lag time between when I touched and moved a level control (for instance) was up to a few seconds before (usually either nothing or too much) happened.

I'm used to the smooth communications between the QSC App from iPad to Touchmix 16 mixer via WiFi connection. IMHO Bluetooth was a poor choice made by JBL - of course THEIR APP programmers probably had devices communicating with BT5 and maybe didn't notice too much of a lag. I don't want to have to buy a 3rd iPad just to run the PRX ONE.

Of course a main reasons I had for trying the PRX ONE was so that I didn't have to bring my mixer and could fine tune the mix with an iPad while still sitting at my position on the stage.

For my uses, the EON ONE and if needed my 2 Bose S1 Pros on stands and Behringer sub(s) are enough -- all of that is at least as loud as the PRX ONE.

I'm glad it's working out for you. I can understand how it can pump out the bass for DJ use. I needed FULL RANGE though for live performance - acoustic guitars and vocals. If the EQ hadn't been so anemic and inadequate, I probably would have lived with the useless APP and kept mine but...

Hi there,

the app is @ v0.0.4, the firmware is up to 5.0.9. I have the gen 5 Ipad, and didn't think of the bluetooth being a bottleneck. I will try my Pixel 5, that should have BT 5. I use a Soundcraft UI16 for my wireless Sennheiser mics and that UI is so much smoother than the JBL. The onboard mixer is a plus, don't really need that function. The addition of BT, i like. As long as it runs fine, i'm good. Looking to get another.

• Updated the App v0.0.5 and Firmware PRX ONE 5.0.9.

First thing I check is the latency of finger control on the App mixer, no improvements with iPad Air 2.
    It can take up to 4 attempts to get a channel slider to move. The Master is the worst. And iv observed faders jittering around after you moved onto the next fader.

*Ashame if I need to upgrade the iPad to match BT5. I think Id almost rather buy a small analog mixer
  • @Earglobe said:
    Updated the App v0.0.5 and Firmware PRX ONE 5.0.9.

First thing I check is the latency of finger control on the App mixer, no improvements with iPad Air 2.
    It can take up to 4 attempts to get a channel slider to move. The Master is the worst. And iv observed faders jittering around after you moved onto the next fader.

*Ashame if I need to upgrade the iPad to match BT5. I think Id almost rather buy a small analog mixer

A new analog mixer would cost 1/3 to 1/4 as much! I have a nice little 5 channel mixer that also runs on batteries and has a fairly nice range 3 band EQ. Similar to this one:
    https://alexnld.com/product/portable-7-channel-professional-live-studio-audio-mixer-usb-mixing-console-ktv/

• tswemtswem Posts: 1

Hi All, Just got my PRX ONE up and working on the App. Had to do the Firmware upgrade and had to buy a new Android Tablet, with that, everything seems to be working. Issue 1) I've found (and others have noted this as well) the sliders on the App don't react very well... I have to try 3 or 4 time to get them to respond. Issue 2) the controls for all the sliders in the App seem to be heavily weighted in the top 30% with sometimes no change in the first 50%, especially for the Fx. Some of the Fx don't work at all (chorus and delay). Issue 3) the overall volume controls need to be more linear... maybe all the controls... All in all, after needing over 3 hours of the learning curve I think I like it a lot. Issue 4) much of the program content on the PRX ONE main screen is not available on the App.
    I am a life-long JBL user and performer/guitar player. In addition I had the wonderful opportunity to work with Greg TImbers and Ed May in Transducer Engineering in the 70s predominately with raw frame loudspeaker and enclosure design.... If I can be of any help to PRO Engineering with this product please let me know.