Home JBL Professional User Forum JBL Pro Live Portable Products
Options

EON718S - where's the KICK?

I gotta be doing something wrong! Set up brand new EON718S for small rock gig with about 75 people. It should have kicked, but instead I couldn't get any serious volume without the Limit light shining Bright Red. I'm paranoid person so did not push it. I tried to keep Limit Light Green or Yellow all night, but then got very little volume. The band and even house sound from iPhone had no kick.

When I cranked input to the EON718S I got the Volume and Kick I expected. But I also got Bright Red Limit Light! I've owned couple other 18" powered subs in past so I know what to expect.

Set up: Zoom L20 mixer Master LR out into Ch1/2 into EON718S. Ch1/2 Pass-Thru to pair of EON612 on top end. The EON612's on top had more bass than the EON718S!

I had several reasonably experienced guys helping but we were all stumped. We tried all sorts of things to isolate issue and ensure signal was clean. We bypassed EON718S and wired directly to the EON612's; sounded fine. We wired that clean signal into EON718S but got no volume without a Bright Red Limit Light. We swapped around all the XLR's to make sure those were not issue.

I tried the Pro Connect app but it seemed to have no effect. App found and connected to the EON718S but none of the changes I made in the app appeared to impact anything on the speaker.

What am I doing wrong? Should I just ignore that Limit Light?

Ryan

Comments

• Options

The limit light is currently malfunctioning. We have the fix diagnosed and we will deploy it in the coming weeks. I apologize.

• Options
    rlakinrlakin Posts: 4

Fantastic! That means I'm not a total idiot :)

I assume this will be a firmware update. How will I know when its available, how will it be communicated?

• Options

Yes, it seems as if the 618s had kick, the 718s is questionable. The jury is still out.

• Options

Hi JBL,

I just recently bought my 718s a week ago.
    Same issues and concern about the limiter.

May we know how to fix that?

thanks

• Options
    I bought mine last summer with the same issue. I’ve had it looked at and the lads say it sorted. Nothing was sorted. I have used them 3 times and am furious. I got it back after months and it’s still a whisper. I’m running 10 year old XTs over and the sub in no way or form can keep up without the glare of the red clip light. I’m scared to even run my sun as it’s big and bulky and sounds like rubbish. I’m so disappointed. I ran the new firmware update and no difference. What are we supposed to do with gear that doesn’t do what it should. Question. How can a brand like JBL launch a product that has issues like this. Come on guys. This is not good enough. Seriously.
  • Options
    Pete_73Pete_73 Posts: 1
    Is this issue solved allready or still on?

I run out to the similar situation where powering up the EON718S subs they light up only the Limit as red and doesn’t give any sound. After factory reset is done the sound is ok but Limit light is red. Signal coming from processor normal level (not too hot).
  • Options
    rlakinrlakin Posts: 4

Sorry, long to take so long to catch up on this thread. I've been using the 718S for past year without any issues. At first I just ignored the limit light (scary) and the box worked fine. At some point I noticed the limit light was not steady-on as before but cannot recall if anything changed. I've take several firmware updates over last 18 monhts, so I assume one of those fixed the issue.

The box absolutely thumps!

• Options
    JBL EON718s is bullshet... Always in red limit light even sound volume is in low level...