Home Lexicon General Discussion

The ilok account that i use on my PC for many products successfully works WITHOUT a hardware key

So can i use Lexicon like this or do i have to still buy the hardware key

Thank you

Best Answers

  • horsetagshorsetags Posts: 2
    Accepted Answer

    Thank you for replying and clarification

Answers

  • matv99matv99 Posts: 4

    @HARMAN_EElde
    Could you maybe elaborate on the 'new' update? I've always wanted to buy the Lexicon PCM Reverb bundle, but because of the iLok, I just can't buy it until then. In fact, it's very bad as I won't lie, I've had to pirate the plugin to Demo it as for some reason you still need a key to demo... Of course I don't use it since I hate using pirated stuff. So I have to stick with the lx480 by Relab that I own.

    I've spent hundreds on trying to get a plugin that's as good as or better than the PCM stuff, and I just can't do it. The LX480 comes extremely close, but it's just not as wide as the actual lexicon stuff.

    Would the new update use iLok cloud or just be a simple serial/account authentication? Also would there be an updated GUI and would this be something we'd see this year?

    Basically I want you to take my money and I think I speak for many others too, I think releasing the 'new update' sooner rather than later would be extremely beneficial to lexicon and Harman in many fundamental ways.

    Thanks,

  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105

    @matv99 said:
    @HARMAN_EElde
    Could you maybe elaborate on the 'new' update? I've always wanted to buy the Lexicon PCM Reverb bundle, but because of the iLok, I just can't buy it until then. In fact, it's very bad as I won't lie, I've had to pirate the plugin to Demo it as for some reason you still need a key to demo... Of course I don't use it since I hate using pirated stuff. So I have to stick with the lx480 by Relab that I own.

    I've spent hundreds on trying to get a plugin that's as good as or better than the PCM stuff, and I just can't do it. The LX480 comes extremely close, but it's just not as wide as the actual lexicon stuff.

    Would the new update use iLok cloud or just be a simple serial/account authentication? Also would there be an updated GUI and would this be something we'd see this year?

    Basically I want you to take my money and I think I speak for many others too, I think releasing the 'new update' sooner rather than later would be extremely beneficial to lexicon and Harman in many fundamental ways.

    Thanks,

    All I have heard is that they eventually are wanting to get away from the Pace licensing completely and have the plugin use a license that we administer ourselves. No idea on the GUI either. I have no further info for that and no ETA/Schedule. For now, the USB iLok Key is a requirement if you want to use these plugins.

  • matv99matv99 Posts: 4
    > @HARMAN_EElde said:
    > (Quote)
    > All I have heard is that they eventually are wanting to get away from the Pace licensing completely and have the plugin use a license that we administer ourselves. No idea on the GUI either. I have no further info for that and no ETA/Schedule. For now, the USB iLok Key is a requirement if you want to use these plugins.

    So the Beta is underway, once successful would it be a fairly immediate release?

    Really looking forward to the update!!
  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105

    @matv99 said:

    @HARMAN_EElde said:
    (Quote)
    All I have heard is that they eventually are wanting to get away from the Pace licensing completely and have the plugin use a license that we administer ourselves. No idea on the GUI either. I have no further info for that and no ETA/Schedule. For now, the USB iLok Key is a requirement if you want to use these plugins.

    So the Beta is underway, once successful would it be a fairly immediate release?

    Really looking forward to the update!!

    There is a Beta version of the LXP Native Reverb Bundle to address a fix for running the plugins on Mac OS 10.14/10.15 but this still would require the USB iLok Key. The two are not related.

  • matv99matv99 Posts: 4
    > @HARMAN_EElde said:
    > (Quote)
    > There is a Beta version of the LXP Native Reverb Bundle to address a fix for running the plugins on Mac OS 10.14/10.15 but this still would require the USB iLok Key. The two are not related.

    Oh right? Seems strange it’s taking this long? Surely it would benefit the company a lot to get on with the updates to remove PACE etc... since there’s a HUGE market for Lexicon reverbs. If Lexicon could simply sell their own plugin without PACE etc... it could result in a shit-ton of profit. And proof is out there for example Valhalla poorly attempt to recreate the lexicon sound, but they’ve sound thousands of not hundreds of thousands of licenses. Just seems a bit ‘stupid’ on lexicons part as a business standpoint to not simply make the plugins more widely accessible?

    I saw you posted back in March about how the removal of PACE is now on the agenda, would you know if this is at least being actively worked on then? As otherwise the PCM bundle for example is effectively abandon-ware.

    At this point it just seems like we’re being told ‘it’s coming’ but it never is. Would be nice to get a simple ETA for example ‘next summer’.

    For me and many others we work on a portable basis and so the only real way of me legitimately using your plugins is if I buy the PCM reverb bundle for example and then pirate the downloads/crack them so that I don’t have to use an e-licensed as it’s simply unfeasible to transport an iLok dongle around without risking loosing it etc... and I’m sure I speak for many others! (Btw isn’t it ironic that despite extreme PACE licensing restrictions, I can still pirate the plugins if I wanted to?)

    Even an eta on when we could expect an eta would be nice, for example you guys may know when a rough release date would be by spring next year etc...

    Essentially loads of people want these plugins and love lexicon, but for too many people it’s impossible to buy these plugins because of PACE and so this is to say people like myself who are more portable are stuck using crap rip-offs, or are forced to pirate the plugin. And as far as my own ethics are concerned, using pirated stuff is gut wrenching to me, it feels fundamentally wrong. Again I think I speak for most people out there!

    Again though as a business stand point I’m very surprised as lexicon is just chilling on a gold-mine!

    Also thanks for being very active in the forum and answering these questions we have. It’s very valuable to the community and those who love lexicon!
  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105

    I absolutely understand your concern and appreciate your feedback.

    I know people press me for ETA, estimates, and such for plans when this or that will be coming. I really just do not want to commit to any sort of ETA personally because I do not have that information until they give it to me, and they haven't and I am not authorized to make guesses. Even then if I just make a guess, and then you come back "next Summer" and it's not here, then you say "Well your guy told us it would be ready by summer..." and I personally just can't and will not do it. I know that's not the answer you want but I'm holding firm to that.

    All I can say it is definitely in the pipeline as I mentioned before in the phases of updating the plugins as we move forward. Right now, the biggest concern is getting our issues with the plugins to work with Mac and the ongoing issues we have with that, then the next phases after that begin.

    Keep an eye on the forum for updates and you can also sign up for the newsletter for product updates and news:
    https://lexiconpro.com/lexicon-newsletter

  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105
    edited October 2020

    Also to be clear, the statement that the "PCM Bundle is essentially abandon ware" is incorrect and not at all the case. I want to address that so people reading this forum do not share that out there when that is not accurate. I know that people want things done yesterday, but yes everything is being worked on actively. There is active software development happening for the plugins.

  • matv99matv99 Posts: 4

    @HARMAN_EElde said:
    Also to be clear, the statement that the "PCM Bundle is essentially abandon ware" is incorrect and not at all the case. I want to address that so people reading this forum do not share that out there when that is not accurate. I know that people want things done yesterday, but yes everything is being worked on actively. There is active software development happening for the plugins.

    Really appreciate you acting as a voice between the community and the company.

    By definition abandonware is "Computer software that is no longer distributed or supported by the developer or copyright holder." (Oxford Dictionary).

    While the PCM bundle is still distributed, it in its current form is NOT supported by the developer. The software is fundamentally dysfunctional on many accounts and so is to say that the in effect the software has been abandoned.

    Yes even though one can say 'we have stuff in the works', that is no clear and definitive answer. For what we know, the resources and time used for the next updates could be used better elsewhere and so could get cancelled by the 'big bosses' of Harman prior to release.

    Also not to mention that MANY retailers have discontinued this product due to its incompatibility.

    As someone interested in buying this software, I would throw my £500 to you right now if this software was officially up to date agains the latest operating systems and with an improved authentication process. However since there is no certainty in the future of this product and so it's simply a silly idea to even consider purchasing this software as of right now.

    Yes I have an adequate solution for right now of course, the lx480 by Relab performs amazingly and sounds as good as the stuff UAD are putting out under the official Lexicon branding.

    Simply saying the software updates will happen (but not actually giving us updates for years or even a date for the next update) is simply not enough for it to be considered supported software as of course from personal research many users can't even install this software on the latest macOS. And not to mention BigSur is right around the corner and so this has already given issues to many other plugin manufacturers. And so will we then get an update for 10.14 and 10.15, but not 11. But then I'll have Big Sur installed, and so would this then not be supported?

    I respect your honesty and transparency though, however telling us that an update is on its way for over half a year is beginning to get a little old if we don't get some sort of news soon!

    We just all want these plugins to be actively supported and not just worked on behind the scenes.

    Heck I even have Beta testing experience with Plugin Alliance, Apple, Ableton etc... so if there's some sort of beta to come, I'll happily dedicate hundreds of hours finding and reporting bugs etc... to simply get the plugins out there again.

    I've signed up for the mailing list and so look forward to future information on the products. Please keep pushing the developers as you already are I'm sure!

    I'm going to stop nagging you now! Have a great day, and stay safe in these strange times!

  • HARMAN_EEldeHARMAN_EElde Posts: 1,105
    edited October 2020

    Your concerns are appreciated and understood and I've definitely made people aware that need to be, I advocate as much as I can for customers but I don't make the decisions either. I'll reiterate that the software is being actively supported and is not abandonware. Even though it doesn't meet your expectation, that is the fact of it. We are fixing it now. It is taking way longer than we would like of course, but that doesn't mean no one is fixing it. I realize you would want more transparency into who is fixing it but our developers assigned to fixing it do not have direct contact with the customers. I have to be your middle man between you and them. That is just how it is.

    All I can keep saying is that we will make news/announcements when they are available. The last update was that the LXP Native Reverb Bundle was starting beta testing for the Mac issue and that it is actually concluding very soon and a new release will be made available to fix the issue with Mac OS 10.14/10.15. I actually made an announcement about it here on the forum when we were looking for testers (https://proforums.harman.com/lexicon/discussion/137153/lexicon-lxp-native-reverb-bundle-beta-testing-mac-os-10-14-10-15#latest). We already selected everyone and that test is about to conclude. We are going to be doing the same for the PCM Native Effects Bundle as the PCM Native Reverb Bundle is working fine with the latest Mac OS as well, it's just the PCM Native Effects that have an issue.

    Again, the iLok key is still a requirement, and I have no date for that, but it will not be this year I can at least guarantee that! Other than that, I can't give you estimates I do not have, and I think my explanation was sufficient as to why. We'll just have to agree to disagree on some things here which is fine, even though I understand where you are coming from! I am doing my best to press them and advocate for you guys indeed. I also use the plugins too outside of work so it is important to me too. Thanks again for your feedback and concerns.

Sign In or Register to comment.