Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft Mixing Consoles

USB problem pops in & out constantly each 2 secs ? Please help

I have loaded latest driver on my MTK22 , now it blips in & out , it simply doesn't work. Since 2014 it worked great, but now same behavior w/ earlier driver as well. In other words , the mixer is useless now.
Using win 10 . Am blind. Please, help!
Goranius

Answers

• HARMAN_TderHARMAN_Tder Posts: 184

Try using the ASIO driver in this package- (yes it is for Notepad but should work on Signature MTK as well) The driver you are using will not work well with Windows 10. Let me know if this fixes... you can always reload the old driver/package for Signature if it doesn't or makes things worse. https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/softwares/notepad-firmware-and-control-panel-setup-windows-v2-0-4-windows

• GoraniusGoranius Posts: 4

Hi Harman Tder, blind Goran here.
    Thanks for replying . Unfortunately it didn't work w/ that driver, Nor w/ the old driver.
    1. Now I'm wondering, is there a way to reset the mixer to it's factory default? That's kind of my last hope, since I tried every thing to my knowledge.
    2. Or can you remotely help me fix it on my computer? Or if you guys have any other suggestions. As of now, I'm really frustrated , since I cannot use the MTK22.
    Sincerely
    Goran (Goranius)

Hi Harman Tder, blind Goran here.
    Thanks for replying . Unfortunately it didn't work w/ that driver, Nor w/ the old driver.
    1. Now I'm wondering, is there a way to reset the mixer to it's factory default? That's kind of my last hope, since I tried every thing to my knowledge.
    2. Or can you remotely help me fix it on my computer? Or if you guys have any other suggestions. As of now, I'm really frustrated , since I cannot use the MTK22.
    Sincerely
    Goran (Goranius)

• HARMAN_TderHARMAN_Tder Posts: 184

Since the console is predominately an analog device there is no factory reset. I would advise you contacting the Harman distributor in your country and try using their technical support. I'll see if there are any other driver issues on our end that might be causing the problem.

Thanks Tder, if any other suggestion , please let me know.
    Regards
    Goran

• LscottkLscottk Posts: 2

I had this problem on my MTK22 - USB attempting to connect, then dropping then attempting to connect, repeating the cycle over and over. It turns out that this issue was due to a failed power supply. The solution was to have the mixer serviced and the power supply replaced. I had my board serviced at Sound West Tacoma, which is located in Tacoma, Washington (USA). Due to supply chain issues it took months to get the required replacement part. Once they received the part the repair only took a few days.

Apparently this part failure is due to leaving the mixer on 24/7. I was shamed by someone at Soundcraft Technical support, who told me that I should be using a power strip to turn the mixer on and off. It was not a positive support experience. I have mentioned this many times on other forums - that Soundcraft expects the consumer to compensate for their poor design choice of not including a power switch on the board. I also commented how there is no mention in the manual or online that the board will fail if it is left on continuously. The fellow at Sound West told me that he has an older Soundcraft board that he has left on continuously in his studio for years with no issues due to heat buildup and failing power supply. Ironically, his board has a built in power switch.

The tech that I spoke to at Soundcraft was incredibly condescending. A very negative experience that has turned me off from purchasing Soundcraft products in the future. Not to mention that my $1000 board required a few hundred dollar repair due to poor design and documentation from the manufacturer. Too bad about this as Soundcraft used to be excellent quality. Live and learn, I guess.

• scytechscytech Posts: 148

Most power supplies nowadays are of the SMPS category. Quite reliable but often chosen too close to its maximum capacity parameters, usually current. Unfortunately, leaving this type of power supply powered on indefinitely is not really a good idea. A high frequency modulator switches AC current to produce electrical DC power. This is a lot of work, and heat is produced all the time, affecting passive components such as caps and transformers over time.
    An analog psu, on the other hand, can usually handle this type of 'abuse' because components are not really critical as in an SMPS.