Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft General Discussion
Options

Safety of converting the Ui24R's balanced outputs to unbalanced via a simple adapter

SharpEarsSharpEars Posts: 3

There are many cheap straight through adapters for sale that are effective, but to be safe I need to know if the Ui24R's XLR balanced outputs are Active Balanced or Transformer Balanced. The specs listed in the Ui24R Manual only mention that the balanced outputs have an impedance that is less than 150 ohms, without any further details on how the output circuits are implemented electrically.

If they are Transformer Balanced, I can safely tie Pin-3 of each XLR output connector (cold) to Pin-1 (ground), making Pin-2 hot and Pin-1/Pin-3 the ground connector connected to the shield of the unbalanced cable.

If they are Active Balanced, I would have to leave Pin-3 of each XLR connector (cold) floating, because if I connect Pin-3 (cold) to Pin-1 (ground), I can damage the output amplifier that drives the cold half of the signal by shorting its output directly to ground.

Please provide information on this if you have it.

Comments

• Options
    HARMAN_TderHARMAN_Tder Posts: 184

Ui24R outputs are actively balanced. No Transformers.

• Options
    OlavOlav Posts: 1
    So…

“I would have to leave Pin-3 of each XLR connector (cold) floating, because if I connect Pin-3 (cold) to Pin-1 (ground), I can damage the output amplifier that drives the cold half of the signal by shorting its output directly to ground.”

Right?…