Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft Mixing Consoles

S1 Expression 3 Output Card to Thunderbolt Input for DAW

Hi and good day,
I own an SI Expression 3, and with the Cat5 output card since new.

Have used my desk for live sound, and now planning to take into my home studio for use with the Personus Studio One 5, on a Mac software suite.

A couple of questions:

Do you foresee any issue taking the SI CAT5 output communicating through an Apple GigEthernet to Thunderbolt adapter to access into the new Mac computer?

Thank you!

Comments

• HARMAN_TderHARMAN_Tder Posts: 184

Yes.. it won't work. The CAT5 carries a audio transport audio protocol called MADI which is not compatible with traditional networking/IP . Your best option would be to get a MADI/USB Combo Card and use that. This would give you 32 in x 32 out via USB. Part number is 5046678.V. Cost is $329. You might find someone selling them used on Ebay for a bit cheaper.

• StorieStorie Posts: 7
    Here is the computer that I am expecting to purchase immediately.

So the card you suggest is the Multi-Digital Card, yes?

Thank you greatly for your guidance,

No... The Multidigital card is discontinued. I suggest using the card i mentioned in my original response. I gve you the part number and description.

@Storie said:
    Here is the computer that I am expecting to purchase immediately.

So the card you suggest is the Multi-Digital Card, yes?

Thank you greatly for your guidance,

Thank you very much for clarifying this. I suppose the Multi card option will soon be removed from the website?

I will take your guidance and move ahead, thanks again!
    Hello, last night after thinking about your output card guidance, I looked back into the console manual and came to realize that I had not scrolled down on the manual page far enough to see the documented MADI/USB Card.

Just wanted to clarify why I replied Multi D, and thank you again.

No problem- and yes.. good point -need to remove the Multi-Digital from the site. Not sure if it is officially discontinued but needs to be as we have none in stock and no availabilty from the factory.

Hello, I want to thank you again for your guidance on the Madi/USB card.

Can you please provide guidance on the best connection from my new IMac, which options are USB C, and USB A outs. Figure you’re very familiar.

Which platform is preferred for highest performance and your suggestion for the Soundcraft Madi/USB card connection?
    I will be using Logic Pro as my DAW

I’m currently shopping for proper interface cable, or adapter.

The MADI out on the card is already being used and is connected to my stage box and is working very well.

Thank you for your time and guidance.