Home Soundcraft User Forum Soundcraft General Discussion
Options

Newbie here - Aux Pre/Post Question

I have a Signature 12 mtk that I use live. I want to add a floor monitor and will be sending the signal out the aux2 send. Being new to mixing boards in general, I do know the difference in pre and post fader but I still need a further understanding of something. I realize that if I send a post fader signal to my monitor that fader movements will affect what i hear in the monitor. I guess for THAT reason I should use a PRE fader signal. BUT, if I do that, I'm guessing I wont hear any of the effects processing. Is that a correct assumption? I like hearing reverb on my vocal on the main mix and it would be nice if I heard it on the monitor mix as well. If I send a POST signal, I'm thinking I will hear the reverb, even tho the signal, in general, would be subject to fader movement - which for just a simple acoustic gig, there isnt that much of. I guess I would control what gets sent via the channel's AUX2 control knob. Sorry - part of this is thinking out loud. Make sense? Can anyone help give me a little better understanding here? Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    RLWRLW Posts: 6

You can go ahead and have it be pre fader. The effects don't come back to the channel pre or post. If you want effects in your monitor, go to the FX return channel, and add as much of the effect as you want to your aux 2 feed.
    Hopefully this makes sense.

• Options

Makes perfect sense. Thank you! More simple than I thought. Appreciate it greatly!

• Options

That didnt work. Sounds logical and looks like it ought to work but it doesnt. Neither the onboard effects nor the outboard effects (which I have routed to one of the unused channels) work. When I turn up the Aux 2 feed of either channel I just get an increase in like white noise but no effects are routed through. They obviously work for post going to the master/mains but not to the monitor. Any ideas?

• Options

thanx for sharing.........

• Options
    scytechscytech Posts: 148

Unfortunately, the block diagram of the mixer shows that the internal effects cannot access the AUX path.
    IMO, you can only have access to some effects, to the monitor, through external means. If you have outboard effects then you can use one of the available AUX output. Since you use AUX 2 for monitoring, then AUX 1 can be our effects send. This is using the stereo channels for vocal input and effects return.
    On the vocal channel, PRE sends to AUX 2 your vocal performance to the monitor. Send some AUX 1 to the outboard Reverb; Return Reverb to the other stereo input channel, same PRE with access to AUX 2, and level up!
    A more circumvoluted way would be using groups. However, you would lose stereo operation. If you need the stereo field for recording, then forget this method. I would use it in live or jamming event. The goal is to use Master L as your vocal chain sum and have Master R as your instrument sum. Your master bus is now a dual mono bus! You just lose your right to the stereo field.
    Have all your vocal chain inputs sent to GR1 and all others to GR2. Pan GR1 left and GR2 right. Now you can control anything as long as you understand that GR1 is your monitor level and GR2 is all the other inputs (mono).