Home AKG User Forum AKG Microphones

P420 mic - real vs fake

cj18cj18 Posts: 1

Hi everyone, first post.

I recently bought a P420 mic from a seller I've used many times before, but this time I am a little concerned that I may have receive a fake P420.

While it looks and feels like a real AKG, I weighed it and it is 15g lighter than the 530g listed in the specs. I tested my scales with a Shure SM57 and SM58, and they are both within one gram of spec.

Do you reckon I got a fake mic? Are there any known things to look for in this model?

I appreciate any info that you can provide!!

Comments

• Hello,
    Build Quality: Authentic AKG mics are known for their solid construction. Check for any signs of poor craftsmanship, such as uneven seams, loose parts, or subpar materials.
    Logo and Markings: Examine the logo and any other markings on the mic. Genuine AKG products will have clear, precise logos and text. Look for any misspellings or inconsistencies.
    Sound Quality: Test the mic’s sound quality. A genuine P420 should deliver clear, high-quality audio. If the sound is noticeably poor or different from what you expect, it might be a fake.
    Serial Number: Check the serial number on the mic and verify it with AKG’s customer service. They can confirm if the serial number matches their records. mycenturahealth
    Weight: As you mentioned, the weight discrepancy is a concern. While a 15g difference might seem small, it could indicate a fake. Authentic P420 mics should weigh around 530g.
    Packaging: Genuine AKG products come in high-quality packaging. Check for any signs of tampering or low-quality printing.
    Best Regards
    franktucker907