Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Problem in receiving from serial port(device uses hardware handshaing)

I have a problem that i dont ger any rx from my rs232 device which uses hardware handshaking i can send commands perfectly but i dont get any feed back from device in netlinx when i use hyperterminal or any other program like(docklight) i get feedback from device . i cant figure out what os the problem .waiting for ur help

Comments

• ijedijed Posts: 28
    Have you sent the HSON command to the serial port:

SEND_COMMAND <DEV>,"'HSON'"

and using a 5-wire 232 cable not 3-wire?

Software handshaking you need the command:

SEND_COMMAND <DEV>,"'XON'"
  • thx for ur reply

This what I wrote in my prog

DATA_EVENT[DV_Auditel]
    {
    ONLINE:
    {
    SEND_COMMAND DV_Auditel,"'SET BAUD 9600,N,8,2'"
    SEND_COMMAND DV_Auditel,"'HSON'"
    }
    STRING:
    {
    SEND_STRING 0,DATA.TEXT
    }
    }

I attached a pic for the device rs232 requirements which says :

Obviously this may be different if connecting to other third party hardware. The above
    connections will work with a terminal emulator program, such as Hyperterminal, with
    hardware handshaking enabled.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    AMX hardware handshaking only uses RTS and CTS. Take their advice and jump DSR and DTR together, then connect the CTS line from the AMX to their RTS.
  • thx for ur reply

a little bit confused if i will make a small cable extension (male female to re-arrange wiring) you want me to jumper PIN 4 and 6 IN PC(9-WAY) side which is amx side and take pin 8 RTS(OUT) to which pin ??
  • HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    msfayad wrote: »
    a little bit confused if i will make a small cable extension (male female to re-arrange wiring) you want me to jumper PIN 4 and 6 IN PC(9-WAY) side which is amx side and take pin 8 RTS(OUT) to which pin ??

No

On the AMX side connect pins 2, 3, 5, and 8 as in the notes you provided. Do not connect anything to 4 and 6 on the AMX side.

On the equipment side, connect the wires connected to the AMX serial port as specified and short together pins 6 and 20 (DSR and DTR).

The problem is that the equipment wants a type of hardware flow control that the AMX ports are not able to provide. By shorting together DSR and DTR on the equipment end, you are faking the equipment into thinking it is getting the proper response from the AMX.

That's my understanding of how the hardware flow control of this type will work, I've never had to configure such a thing. Only thing I've ever had to do is flow control with AMX pins 7 and 8.

For future reference, unless you are using RS422 or RS485, never connect anything to AMX serial port pins 1, 4, 6, and 9. If you try to use this pins with a normal RS232 configuration, you will probably hose your RX. See the pin assignments in the hardware documentation to see why.
  • Thanks guys

I want to say thank you for HEDBERG,DHawthorne and ijed for your reply. I appreciate your time replying my message I will try the solution tomorrow and post my results.

Regards
  • IT WORKS :D

thanks guys for your help the solution works perfectly after jumpering the mentioned pins
    REGARDS,
  • GregGGregG Posts: 251
    In general when having hardware handshaking pin problems on rs232, here are a few options to try:

http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-232_null_modem.html#loop