Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Polycom Realpresence Group 500

Hi all,

Have you had any luck in integrating the new group series Polycom units?
It looks like the Polycom written module is written for the HDX units only
and aparently there is no directional support??

Our disti's have told us that Cr*str*n have a fully working module available...

One of our idiotic sales guys have sold one with a DVX : ( without thinking
so am hoping its possible..

Comments

• Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    Polycom has not released the full API for the Group series of codecs yet. For example, there is no support for simple remote control button emulation via RS232 at this point. This is supposed to be resolved "Late 2013" with a firmware update; but for now, we have a sub-par API to work with. With that being said, there's no way that anyone has a "fully developed" control module for it.

I've been waiting myself as we have a few Group series codecs out there, and we would have more if the API was complete. For now, my suggestion is IR control and capture the factory remote's codes. It's ugly and ridiculous to have to do that, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    Thanks Nick, at least something is possible. It seems a real shame to have
    no 'real' control. You would think that they would be talking to the top integration
    systems ages ago. Why does it have to be so damn difficult : )
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    Polycom has released the API and is pretty close to that of the HDX. It is true that the device does not support the "button" commands (remote emulation). But you should be able to control the codec with the HDX module, staying away from remote emulation. Hope this helps...
  • Options
    While not a Polycom Codec, I did find this handy snippet in the Cisco C40 API documentation that is appropriate to the discussion (which maybe should continue in a different thread).

• Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    True. However, Cisco allows you to disable the on-screen menu, and Polycom doesn't. That being said, there are certain instances where you will only confuse someone using a Polycom codec by NOT allowing them to use on-screen context. Whereas with Cisco, you can force the user to work with only the UI on a touch panel.

AMJeff, I spoke in great length with Polycom about this. They will fully admit that the API in the current revision of firmware is no where near complete. Beta firmware in a general release product is one of my biggest pet-peeves about this industry.
  • Options
    haha I got our sales guys to request a change to a HDX 7000 rather. Im happy now : ) thanks for all
    the comments though.