Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

MVP-5200i Touch Panel Battery Bloated

Hi All,

Have you all encounter touch panel keeps getting bloated and panel cracked because of this?

I have few customers experiencing this and feel that this is not fair to them to pay for the repair charges as the problem keeps repeating and they keeps paying for the repair charges.

Is there any way to stop this? I was suspecting that the panel is kept charging in the wall docking station that cause this problem..

Will the same scenario happens if the touch panel is placed on the table and charge with a power adapter through barrel connector?

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    No advertised difference in power application from the two dock types or simple charger.

AMX officially suggests proactive replacement of the battery every two years rather than wait for failures.

They also say not to keep it on the charger 24/7 for best life. You'd think they would try to accommodate that cycle with smarts in the panel or dock. Taking the unit out of the wall most of each day is not a normal use case... especially considering the long re-acquisition of signal time required when the panel sleeps.
  • Options
    Here is a link to the tech note describing battery maintenance suggestions for the MVP-52xx series:

http://www.amx.com/techsupport/techNote.asp?id=1003
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    John Nagy wrote: »
    You'd think they would try to accommodate that cycle with smarts in the panel or dock.
    Most of the panels on my jobs are docked 99% of the time and it makes no sense that an intelligent charging system wasn't incorporated in the design, how hard would it have been for simple logic to control a relay in the panels. Ideally since this is AMX they should have added a little more sophistication to determine type of usage and manage charging accordingly. If it tends to be out of the charger for long periods then always charge to 100% when docked, if it's typically out for short period don't charge at all until a minimum threshold is reached based on the average depletion between docking. It won't be perfect but it beats the crap out of customers having to dish out $1000's on batteries every couple of years.

I don't care how much money clients have, they get pissed off and they start looking for products that won't nickel and dime them to death. C'mon every 18-24 months is a little ridiculous, no wonder why there's no new portable devices being released, poor connectivity and battery life.

The new RTI handhelds now have IR/RF/ZigB and wi-fi for programming and dynamic images and I believe a camera and mic. We still have the R4 for the same price which still reguires a physical connection to update.
  • Options
    rmjstsrmjsts Posts: 19
    MVP5200i Battery

This is a known problem and has been for last four years. I started installing these in 2009 and have had every panel recalled by AMX to have batteries exchanged from that first year. Since then I have had a few others have the same problem. I installed one July 2011 that was just returned to AMX and repaired under warranty after battery swelled enough to break the case and render the panel unuseable. They replaced the battery and the case under warranty. This panel is in the wall docking station about 80-90% of the time. Also I have just installed three for same customer in another location in another city and one of them is starting have a problem with battery charging. It is not swelled but instead will only charge to about 5% then indicates it is at a full charge. If you removed from the charger it will die in a matter of a few minutes. THIS IS BRAND NEW INSTALLED IN JULY OF THIS YEAR. I love these panels overall, they are sleeek, attractive and very capable units, just wish battery was reliable.
  • Options
    Really hope that the R&D Department can do something about this as customer has already spent much on the control system and yet they will have to fork out additional expenses to change the battery every year. I have one customer owned two touch panels and after one sent in to the service centre, the other one bloated within few weeks. It is a hassle for customer to monitor how long the panels have charged and when to take out the panels from the docking station to stop charging. He has one panel repaired and around 10 months time, the panel bloated again and have to send in for repair again. So he has to pay for battery replacement and panel casing replacement due to battery bloated causing casing to break. I feel that this is sort of unfair for him.
  • Options
    cblumcblum Posts: 19
    Quality problem

AMX has with all wireless touch panel a big quality problem!
    The battery management working not good!
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I agree with the sentiments in this thread. Claiming that full discharge/recharge once per week is 'typical usage' is like putting 'serving size: 1' on a Twix wrapper.