Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Using IRIS for Philips remote errors out every time

Been trying to create IRL file for a new Philips BluRay player. On capture first press seems to go ok, but second press for verify capture results in Error every time for any remote function. I have two IRIS units, same result on both. Tested other remotes from a CATV box and a projector, both ok. Are there any settings in the IRIS I am missing? Has Philips gone to some frequency out of range from the IRIS?

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    rmjsts wrote: »
    Been trying to create IRL file for a new Philips BluRay player. On capture first press seems to go ok, but second press for verify capture results in Error every time for any remote function. I have two IRIS units, same result on both. Tested other remotes from a CATV box and a projector, both ok. Are there any settings in the IRIS I am missing? Has Philips gone to some frequency out of range from the IRIS?
    You might try putting the IRIS into advanced capture mode. I think you do this by holding in the first and third buttons for 2 seconds. (Someone who remembers correct me if wrong). When in this mode you may have to confirm more than once. Sometimes 3-4 before you get an OK.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    The device may use alternating codes, that is, each command uses two alternate forms, so a repeat is distinguished from a "bounce" or held button. If so, there is a chance you can't manage it at all.

To find out if it is alternate codes at work, capture once, then hit the button on the remote again without capture, then capture the third push for confirmation. If that confirms, you have the issue.

Now the next issue will be making the player accept the new code. It likely will not work for any code more than one time in a row. It must see some other code first, to "release" it from needed the alternate code.

I have on occasion succeeded in appending codes together that made this work... the first being the captured "A" code, the second being some harmless other code, never using the "B" code at all. The null code allowed the device to again accept an A code when next sent. This can be messy. Better to get a different player. Sony or Samsung.
  • rmjstsrmjsts Posts: 19
    Thanks

Will try all the above. AS for replacing the player, this is something the customer ran out and bought. I am sure they will not return it! I will have to try everyhting above then see where we are.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    There are times you need to let your customer know that impulse buying (or use of older on-hand devices) can cause expensive integration challenges. He may well be able to give the Philips to a family member and buy a Sony that works much cheaper than paying you to hammer away at it.
  • champchamp Posts: 261
    Often a client "saves" a few dollars by re-using old gear or buys a random product from the local cheap Hifi store or eBay then loses ten times that amount in programming costs or ends up with an un-controllable product.
    If possible put a line in contracts that says all products not supplied by the integrator fall under a do-and-charge category.
  • rmjstsrmjsts Posts: 19
    Advanced mode worked fine, although some times (not everytime) you have to press the button twice on the 5200i interface for the command to be accepted by the player. Thinking about doubling up the commands in the program, but afraid this may casue other problems.

Thank you all!!!
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    rmjsts wrote: »
    Advanced mode worked fine, although some times (not everytime) you have to press the button twice on the 5200i interface for the command to be accepted by the player. Thinking about doubling up the commands in the program, but afraid this may casue other problems.

Thank you all!!!

Glad it worked out!