Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

NXF/NXI/NMS/NXC Cards Limited Production??

I don't post on here often, but it came to my attention more recently that the NXF frames, NXI frames, Net Module shells and NXC cards are all showing that they are in limited production. I was specifying possible replacement equipment for a facility when I came across this. I guess I just don't quite understand the logic of some of the product discontinuations that I've seen, and this one is a good example. On top of what I said above, you can no longer buy an NXC-COM2 card or an NXC-REL10 card. Now I understand that the EXB cards are the next big thing, and I absolutely plan on using them where I can. I think that they will be a great addition to a number of my future installations, but they are absolutely not a replacement for these other items for a number of reasons (distance being foremost). Now I know you can say that ethernet can be extended, but it requires more hardware to do so. Otherwise I have a 100m limitation in place. As far as the frames are concerned, I deal with a number of facilities that have centralized I/O and they had previously used AXF frames, which makes an NXF frame ideal. Also, I liked that modular nature of these frames. They could be adapted to exactly what was necessary while also affording the concept that a card failure was not enclosure wide, like some of the failures I've had in NI-based devices where I lose EVERY serial port simultaneously because they all share the same chip. When cost is a huge factor NI boxes are great, but when reliability is an issue at larger sites I have had better luck with these. Also, I find it strange that I can still buy an NI-4100, but I can't drop a COM2 card in it if I was thinking I needed another port and pretty soon, I won't be able to get a card for it at all? Why would I sport for it if I was thinking about future upgrade potential instead of just buying an NI-3100? Don't get me wrong, I love AMX by comparison to other products out there - you can ask anyone, and they'll tell you I do. But sometimes I just don't get it when products are discontinued when there is not any clear replacement for their use case. I have had this a few times where I have a product in mind for a particular use-case, but when I go to specify it, it's been discontinued. Just wondering if I'm the only one who's had this experience and if I'm missing something that does replace these or something that's at least on the horizon? The EXB boxes are great for distributed I/O, but not so much for large centralized installations, especially if they are re-mods. of existing devices.

-Jeff B

Comments

• Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    It comes down to one simple fact. AMX does not own ICSNet/ICSHub. Every time a device is sold by AMX with an ICS card, they have to pay royalties. This has been coming for a while, and at least in my case, we've been told by AMX for years that this was coming.

It started with the NI processors. For a few years now, they've shipped standard without the ICS card. You had to purchase it as an option. Now they are moving to the NMS, NXF, and NXF-MINI. Granted, without the NXF, you can't get as much density of connections (20 serial ports on a single frame, etc), but with devices becoming more de-centralized (controlled by AVB extenders) and so on; I can see why they made the decision to do away with it.

It simply doesn't make sense to keep paying large royalties for ICS when there is a much more prolific alternative available in Ethernet.
  • Options
    Nick,

I understand what you're saying, and I have seen these go "limited" and then go back to normal status at least once before. As far as the NI modification, that was ok as these networks were not needed for many installations, and I believe there was a significant price break on the boxes as a result. I also understand what you are saying concerning the growing de-centralization and even direct ethernet integration to many products now. However, it doesn't change the fact that there are a good deal of facilities with a large number of devices in a concentrated centralized location that would require a product like these.

Like I said, I am completely open to change. I understand you don't manufacture the same box forever. But the use-case may still demand a product that serves a similar purpose, whether that be in function, form-factor, density, etc. That being the case, show me a path to a new product that serves that demand. Otherwise, I start using an NI processor to talk to third party serial/relay/functional IO boxes that can achieve what I need instead of dealing with native boxes. If I needed an extra 20 serial ports in a concentrated space (as you referenced), for example, I'm not going to rack up 10 EXB boxes that all need independent ethernet connections with POE to do it. I can find high density port servers that serve the need. I can use PLC type boards to get any combination of high-density IO/Relays going. Do I want to? No. I'd prefer to use something that's native because its easy and reliable, but I do the other type of integrations all the time when needed, so if that's what I have to do, I guess that's it.

Like I said before, it took me some time to notice this because I don't use these types of systems often. But when I do, it is the thing to fit the bill. I think having the right tools at your disposal is important to be effective at solving a problem properly. If there's another tool that fits, that's great. But when there's a tool for a specific purpose that's missing from the box, you end up spending more time and effort to do a job when that tool could have saved you the trouble.

Just a thought. Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    The last few times I thought I needed a cardframe it was actually more cost effective to just buy enough NI series controllers to get almsot all the ports I needed and then add a couple of EXB boxes instead. I don't think we've installed a card frame in 5 years.
  • Options
    I would agree that it is definitely more cost effective, but sometimes that is not the only confining factor at play. Form-factor is a big deal sometimes and density is key in these circumstances.

For instance, I may not always have room for three NI boxes to get the IO type I actually need that could have fit into a single frame. In the particular circumstance I was dealing with, the racks have a finite space for control. The rest of the racks are full to the brink. It's a remod of the control side of an older installation. I can't add rack space. I have had an install similar to this before where I needed three full frames.

I think to a degree that the 3101 can almost legitimately replace the NXI with the exception of the relay count, but I would love to see something that would replace the NXF frame in a similar fashion.

I'll deal with it in the meantime :-)