Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Netlinx Studio 2.2 ? Sahweet!

If you haven?t already, I recommend an upgrade to Netlinx Studio 2.2 which was released this last week.

The code folding and the much improved Auto-Suggest along with some other goodies makes the upgrade a must.

Nicely played AMX! :cool:

Cheers,
Joe

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I AGREE!

Very well done. I love the folding code option.

Jeff
  • Thanks

Jeff and Joe,

I'm one of the Software Engineers who built NetLinx Studio 2 and I just wanted to let you know we really do appreciate all the feedback (the good and of course, the not so good).

So keep the cards and letters coming. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them. And if I can't answer your question, I'll do what all great developers do and just make up an answer on the spot.

Have a great day!

-David
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Re: Thanks
    Originally posted by dvalosek
    Jeff and Joe,

I'm one of the Software Engineers who built NetLinx Studio 2 and I just wanted to let you know we really do appreciate all the feedback (the good and of course, the not so good).

So keep the cards and letters coming. If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them. And if I can't answer your question, I'll do what all great developers do and just make up an answer on the spot.

Have a great day!

-David

OHH! OHH! OHH! I have a question! When I am programming for long periods of time, occassionally the screen will do a rather noticable redraw. I haven't really tried to clamp down on what is causing this to happen, but I don't think it's the computer. This didn't happen in the previous version. Is there maybe an auto save functionality or an auto rescan for text formatting that I can adjust?

I'll take either a real answer or a made up answer at your convenience. It's not debilitating, just a little annoying..... may even be a sleep thing ;)

Jeff
  • alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    I've noticed the compiler is a little more rigorous.

If you use a constant in an array index such as:

nARRAY[nConstant]

If nConstant is greater then the size of nARRAY it generates an error message.

Also you can't declare an array like this anymore:
    nARRAY[][] = {{'ABC'},{'ABC'},{'ABC'}}

You have to declare the size of the second item:
    nARRAY[][3]
  • Screen Wash

Jeff...

Your screen wash could be happening for the following reason:

You have selected the "Auto-Save" feature located on the Workspace tab of the Preferences dialog. You can specify the length of time in minutes between the auto-saving of the file. You might want to visit your selection on this tab to see if the file is being saved in short intervals.

When a file is saved, NS2 will re-lex the file to update the auto-suggest/auto-complete cache. There is a slight delay before the program will return (longer for very large files). Our new editor is wanting to repaint the screen (because of the file save), so what you are seeing is probably a delay from NS2 needing to re-lex the file at the same time it needs to update the screen.

Hope this answers the question...if not, hit me up again.

-David
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've noticed the screen-wash effect too, and on my box it's rather long. It also seems to take a very long time to jump to a specific section. I can live with that though - heh, maybe I can leverage a new computer fom the boss out of it.
  • dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    I have a couple of "Wish List" items for Studio...

Would it be possible to create a new group for the chroma-coding so that punctuation (specifically square brackets []) could be separated from normal text?

Second, I would appreciate if the "Goto" menu would return. The commands are all available on the "Edit" menu, however, they can no longer be accessed by keyboard shortcuts. The "Goto" menu was quick and easy to access a particular section of code, without having to reach for the mouse.

Thanks,

--D
  • Originally posted by DHawthorne
    I've noticed the screen-wash effect too, and on my box it's rather long. It also seems to take a very long time to jump to a specific section. I can live with that though - heh, maybe I can leverage a new computer fom the boss out of it.

Jumping to a specific section is a relatively fast operation (even on a large file). If it is taking awhile, your box is most likely working overtime. Definitely hit the boss up for a new computer, all he can say is no.

Good luck!
    -David
  • patbpatb Posts: 140
    David,
    There is a problem I've had for a while and have reported it numerous times, but I from what I can tell Studio 2.2 still has the same quirk as 2.1. The problem has more to do with file management - specifically the location of the IR files and the modules. I would love to see a preferences tab that lets you pick the location of your IR files and modules much like MS Word and Excel will let you pick the location of your user templates.

Right now every time I use an IR file I have to search my IRLIB directory, find the file and physically make a copy of the file in my project directory for that job. Yes I know that there is a 'link' feature and it will allow me to map the files, etc. But when I send out the entire workspace to my client with all of the project files the workspace looks for the IR file at the same drive mapping as what I had on MY computer. I have no idea how the files are stored on my client's computers so the only solution is to physicall made duplicate copies of every single IR file that I use. Then I can guarantee that the IR files I used are in the same directory and it will work properly.

Basically the same problem exists with modules. Each time I use a module I have to physically locate the module in the project directory that I'm working on. Part of this I know has to do with how I organize my files - basically I have a project directory for each project that contains everything associated with that project - drawings, graphics, notes, touch panel files, code files, IR files, modules, etc. I don't know how they do it now, but when I was at AMX we used to keep all the axcess files in one directory but we always had the problem with the directory getting so big that it was unmanageable so that isn't an answer. It is a pain in the butt using a module how it works now because I would like to use a single instance of a module file for a specific piece of equipment - Epson model XXX projector, XAP800, etc no matter what job it is used in. As it stands now every time I use a module I have to find the file I need in my "global" module location, copy it into the specific project and then I end up having 20 or 30 copies of the same module scatterred all over my drive. And heaven forbid when I do find a bug in a module I have to go back and find every instance that I used it and update it rather than just having a single "modules" directory where I can make an edit and store them all and then Studio 2.2 points to this location. Then if my clients decides to store their modules in a different location Studio will be smart enough to know where to look.

Thoughts anyone?
  • Originally posted by patb
    David,
    There is a problem I've had for a while and have reported it numerous times, but I from what I can tell Studio 2.2 still has the same quirk as 2.1. The problem has more to do with file management - specifically the location of the IR files and the modules. I would love to see a preferences tab that lets you pick the location of your IR files and modules much like MS Word and Excel will let you pick the location of your user templates.

Right now every time I use an IR file I have to search my IRLIB directory, find the file and physically make a copy of the file in my project directory for that job. Yes I know that there is a 'link' feature and it will allow me to map the files, etc. But when I send out the entire workspace to my client with all of the project files the workspace looks for the IR file at the same drive mapping as what I had on MY computer. I have no idea how the files are stored on my client's computers so the only solution is to physicall made duplicate copies of every single IR file that I use. Then I can guarantee that the IR files I used are in the same directory and it will work properly.

Basically the same problem exists with modules. Each time I use a module I have to physically locate the module in the project directory that I'm working on. Part of this I know has to do with how I organize my files - basically I have a project directory for each project that contains everything associated with that project - drawings, graphics, notes, touch panel files, code files, IR files, modules, etc. I don't know how they do it now, but when I was at AMX we used to keep all the axcess files in one directory but we always had the problem with the directory getting so big that it was unmanageable so that isn't an answer. It is a pain in the butt using a module how it works now because I would like to use a single instance of a module file for a specific piece of equipment - Epson model XXX projector, XAP800, etc no matter what job it is used in. As it stands now every time I use a module I have to find the file I need in my "global" module location, copy it into the specific project and then I end up having 20 or 30 copies of the same module scatterred all over my drive. And heaven forbid when I do find a bug in a module I have to go back and find every instance that I used it and update it rather than just having a single "modules" directory where I can make an edit and store them all and then Studio 2.2 points to this location. Then if my clients decides to store their modules in a different location Studio will be smart enough to know where to look.

Thoughts anyone?

A couple of thoughts to your problems. First, do you use the "Export Workspace to Go" option? This option will create a single file (.AXW) of all your files "linked" within your workspace. You send this file to your client or field reps and they select the "Import Workspace" option. This option will expand the AXW file into a directory of your choice and open up the APW file. This APW file was created when you created the AXW file. All your files that were "linked" from the original Workspace file are know located in the same directory that you expanded the AXW file into. This should save you time from any manual copying of IR files from one PC to another.

As for the module files, prior to V2.2, we did some handstands under the covers to help the user so they didn't have to manually copy the module files into the directory where the designated master source code file resided. With V2.2, we don't do any handstands (well, we do, but I am a little rusty). Visit your NetLinx Compilier tab in your preference dialog. Add all the directories you want under the "Module Files" selection. Prior to V2.2, this didn't work all that well.

Now, the compiler will look in the following order when it needs to resolve a module reference:
    1) Look in the directory where the master source code file resides.
    2) Look in the directories of the Module files that are in the Module folder of your System.
    3) Scan the directories entered in the NetLinx Compiler tab of the preference dialog.

So, theoretically you don't even have to add any module files to your workspace links if you have all your folders designated in the NetLinx Compiler reference page.

Of course, that requires you to have the same module folders on the target PC if you decide to send your Exported workspace to someone else.

Hope this helps, if not, let me know.
  • TimmaaTimmaa Posts: 9
    Good job

Great job my 10 to 20 k lines of code are much more managable with the folding.

Props to you guys
    Thanks
    Timmaa