Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

DirecTV IP Issues

Is anyone successfully using the AMX Duet module?

I just implemented it for the 1st time a week ago, I'm just using the comm portion of the module and wrote the rest of the control myself. One issue I am seeing is some sort of buffering going on occasionally where I will press a series of buttons and get no response on the sat receiver and then all of a sudden all of those commands will get sent through all at once.

One receiver is a standard DVR and the other is a Genie, both receivers are getting their network connection through the DirecTV black box over coax which the DTV guy insists is needed to be able to make the home share work.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    cma wrote: »
    Is anyone successfully using the AMX Duet module?

I just implemented it for the 1st time a week ago, I'm just using the comm portion of the module and wrote the rest of the control myself. One issue I am seeing is some sort of buffering going on occasionally where I will press a series of buttons and get no response on the sat receiver and then all of a sudden all of those commands will get sent through all at once.

One receiver is a standard DVR and the other is a Genie, both receivers are getting their network connection through the DirecTV black box over coax which the DTV guy insists is needed to be able to make the home share work.
    The DirecTV DECA isn't needed if all your boxes have an ethernet jack and you obviously have ethernet available at the location. It's good to have a decent gigabit switch for handling the streaming and if you can vlan and do inter vlan routing that would be even better but not required. The last DirecTV system I worked with I used a good cisco gigabit switch (small biz SG300-28, $650.00) capable o f L3 switching but kept it flat and it worked just fine.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Just another point of reference, we see many many DTV's on shares over ordinary house 100mbt networks, and don't see reports of disturbing program lag or buffering. Program startup on a remote box takes a few seconds (like 4) to start initially, then navigates pretty normally. Fast forward or rewind can be slower than on the native box. On one system with all gigabit network, it was very similar.

The command buffering is very typical of IP control on DirecTV. We don't use the module from AMX, but have similar result. It's enough to make some users ask to go back to IR. Which, by the way, can also lag if the DTV box is busy with something else of its own choice...
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    Thanks, sounds like I need to switch back to IR or 232 over USB.. Thought I read somewhere that people were doing this reliably.. oh well.