New Driver Design Module files (.xdd)

DigiMeDigiMe Junior MemberPosts: 59
Does anyone know what this is per the updated Netlinx Studio:
"New Driver Design Module files (.xdd)"

Comments

  • champchamp Junior Member Posts: 261
    xdd files are driver files that you load onto the master in a folder called drivers.
    They are used with Dynamic Device Discovery.
  • vincenvincen Junior Member Posts: 526
    champ wrote: »
    xdd files are driver files that you load onto the master in a folder called drivers.
    They are used with Dynamic Device Discovery.
    only usable with Duet module or Java programming right ?
  • champchamp Junior Member Posts: 261
    Yes.
    You'll either download a Duet module for a specific device that comes with an xdd file or you'll use a generic Duet Driver Design module and tell the module what file to look for.
  • vincenvincen Junior Member Posts: 526
    champ wrote: »
    Yes.
    You'll either download a Duet module for a specific device that comes with an xdd file or you'll use a generic Duet Driver Design module and tell the module what file to look for.
    Thanks, will have to find some time to find some documentations about Duet and this module system to check if it's interesting and ease work for future jobs ;)
  • HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Harman Professional University Posts: 282
    Driver Design is a module development tool currently released to Display Manufacturers. The patent discussed in this [post=67615]post[/post] most likely covers this technology. In short, a duet module has been created that is universal in nature. When it loads, it references the xdd file (XML) for it's behavioral properties. This allows the module to become any type of device. The xdd file contains all of the device specific protocol information the module needs to include what to poll for, what the possible responses would be, check sum calculations, etc.

    At present, this is only for display devices. Manufactures have taken this tool and run with it. This is expected to eventually cover additional device types. The tool allows manufacturers to upload their finished drivers directly into the database, and each xdd file contains the email address for the engineer who wrote the driver allowing for rapid access to the resource responsible for caring for the module. The goal of the initiative is to empower manufacturers to easily create, test, and support their own drivers.

    The results for the dealer/programmer are clear:
    1) more drivers in the resource library
    2) drivers written by, and tested by the hardware manufacturer
    3) faster delivery of drivers to better align with hardware manufacturer product release dates
    4) expedited support for drivers that are not operating properly
    5) drivers targeted at one specific device model and no longer a "family" of products -- so often we receive one model from a manufacturer, but the protocol "should" work for a "family" of products and field testing reveals this isn't always accurate.

    It is unclear if and when this tool would roll out into the dealer community. It is a tool that allows engineers to simply "fill in the blank" and not a programming tool.

    Many times, we (in this community) have asked for display modules that simply contain power, input selection, and lamp hours. Most projects do not need sharpness, contrast, brightness, etc. and this tool allows for that level of customization. The result is a SNAPI compliant, two-way communicating module.

    I am a big fan of the tool. Although this has been in development for quite some time, I still think this is in its infancy and am excited to see where this is going. Members of the Valued Independent Programmer community received a preview of this tool at our summer Developer's Conference. Initial response was very positive for what something like this could do towards streamlining the workflow and providing a rapid way to develop modules - be it for one time use on a device you don't expect to see again, or long term use in your business.
  • AvargasAvargas Junior Member Posts: 56
    I'm in the beta program and it's an amazing tool to create modules.

    I've also tried the new feature of NS and it works fine. You can use a module created with Driver Design and implement it in your code like a NetLinx or Duet module.
  • vincenvincen Junior Member Posts: 526
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    I am a big fan of the tool. Although this has been in development for quite some time, I still think this is in its infancy and am excited to see where this is going. Members of the Valued Independent Programmer community received a preview of this tool at our summer Developer's Conference. Initial response was very positive for what something like this could do towards streamlining the workflow and providing a rapid way to develop modules - be it for one time use on a device you don't expect to see again, or long term use in your business.
    Thanks a lot Chris for these details that are very interesting ;)
    Avargas wrote: »
    You can use a module created with Driver Design and implement it in your code like a NetLinx or Duet module.
    Shame we can’t yet develop for now modules usable with Driver design !
Sign In or Register to comment.