Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

PULSE, FEEDBACK & TOGGLING

Hi,

I want to build my DSS recorder page to toggle the pause & play from a single button. I am controlling the DSS via IR.

The pause & play are actually the same IR code as it just toggles between the two.

What I would like to do is reflect current state on the touch panel (i.e. it shows pause by default but when I press the button and it pauses the program it changes the button state to show play)

Seemed simple until I tried it!! I cannot just set the feedback to reflect the devices channel state as the pulse command switches the channel off immediately. I also have the channel in a mutually exclusive set with stop, rewind & forward.

I have read the define latching & define toggling and frankly amx could of written it in chinese and it would have made as much sense!!

Is there a simple way of acheiving this?

regards, Phil

Comments

• Options
    Pulse, Feedback & Toggling

Check out some of the system calls that are available to see how this is done.
    As I remember a JVC VCR behaves this way.

Rex
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Mutually exclusive channels behave strangely sometimes. I think it is because we are actually dealing with three different types of channels: input, ouput, and feedback. They don't all behave the same way. I have found it works more consistently (read: the way *I* expect), if I use a seperate set of channels in the device to track transport states, and then stack a set of conditionals in my feedback loop (I think this is the way most function calls work too, and if one exists for your device, use it, it's far simpler than rolling your own).

The standard transport state channels are 241-248. So when the play button is pressed, turn on channel 241 in your IR device, etc. Then in your feedback:

[dvTP, iPlayButtonChannel] = [dvIRDevice, 241]
    [dvTP, iStopButtonChannel] = [dvIRDevice, 242]
    [dvTP, iPauseButtonChannel] = [dvIRDevice, 243]
    ...etc.

If you have a feedback conditional for all your transports, it will be inherently mutually exclusive without needing the actual keyword entry. What's nice about doing it this way is that you can ad tricky little things like having your play and fast-forward button on at the same time if it's just scan (forward button pressed while play was already on), simply by turning on the appropriate 241-248 channels. Inother words, you aren't locked into the mutually exclusive thing, you can make exceptions where you like.
  • Options
    Devil's advocate here...

It's IR, so you're pretty much guaranteed at some point (if it happens once, it's usually when your client can't get you and gets steamed about it) that any scheme you come up with will fall out of sync with the actual state of the device.

Make a single button that triggers/pulses the code, make the feedback momentary, and put the play and pause icons on it.

- Chip
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Devil?s advocate?s advocate here?

I agree. Fake Feedback is Futile.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    I have to agree with Chip and Joe, you can't track IR info with enough reliability(believe me I have tried) So momentary is pretty well the only way to go.
  • Options
    Joe Hebert wrote:
    I agree. Fake Feedback is Futile.

"Triple F". I'm going to have to remember that one, and recite it to salespeople next time I see one of 'em pushing a one-way RF system out the door. :)

- Chip
  • Options
    hodeyphodeyp Posts: 104
    cheers, all working (although from your experiences it won't be long before it bceomes a problem!!)