Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

RS485 - Quick Help?

I was just attempting to get a couple cameras (some oddball Dannovo cameras) to operate via RS485, and was wondering if anyone out there might be able to help before I drop back 10 and punt by soldering mini-8 VISCA connectors?

On the controller side, I've got Pins 1 and 9 strapped together as A, and pins 4 and 6 strapped together as B.

On the camera side, it's just got 2 posts, + and -.

I'm sending the "SET BAUD 9600,N,8,1 485 ENABLE" command to initialize the controller ports. When I send data, it comes right back, presumably because of the jumpers. But, the cameras won't respond regardless of which post I connect to 1/9 or 4/6 on the controller.

I've never actually set up 485 before, so I'm kinda shooting in the dark here. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Totally from the recollections of a bad memory....

But I think you may indeed need to combine the send and receive busses in this case. So in other words tx+ and RX+ are jumpered and the two minuses as well.

Usual "not at my desk", "consider the source" disclaimers apply here.
  • OK, yeah that's what having pins 1 & 9, and 4 & 6, strapped together does, according to the documentation. My problem may be with the cameras right now; someone threw away all the camera manuals during cleanup, but the cameras have DIP switches on them.

Kinda hard to decide: I know I can solder the VISCA connectors, I know about how long it will take; should I just do that or keep trying the 485?

I think I'm just gonna go VISCA.

Thanks,
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Any port in a storm...

The only advantage of 485 in this case is the ability to put more than on camera on the same serial buss. You don't gain any performance improvement worth mentioning. I'd go 'old Skool' and move on myself. If you have enough serial ports to burn I'd do 232.
  • Agreed, was just hoping it might be easy, and I could avoid soldering those damn VISCA mini-8 connectors. But the soldering iron is already hot, the leads have been tinned, and away I go.

Thanks Eric!