Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Latest Model of Apple TV and IR Integration

I had a client call me to add an Apple TV to his system. First the Apple TV HDMI did not play well with the Integra AVR. (2009 Model). HDMI to the display and Toslink to the AVR fixed that problem. When I attempted to use the IR codes from AMX and another vendor I had no luck.

Using the Learn Feature on the Apple TV I used the Cable TV remote and flashed its button at the Apple TV. The Apple TV learned those codes. I then took the same buttons that I taught the Apple TV and captured them with my IRIS. I uploaded them to the processor and the Apple TV works.

Does anyone have a better method or more information to share about Apple TV? What about a Google Chrome?

Thank you in advance
David Groves
High IQ Homes of Texas, LLC

Comments

• I typically use the IR codes from the RTI database. From within their software you can copy the hex code and paste it into a new IREdit file.

I have found this to be the least frustrating method of adding current IR codes to IREdit.

The last time AMX updated their IR database was February of 2009, almost four years ago now.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    A bit more information... Dave originally used the APPLE TV IR codes we use normally (in use controlling probably 20 or more Apple TV's in the field), but they did not work on his APPLE TV. This was the strange part.

His workaround now uses non-Apple TV commands that the Apple was coaxed into using. It works, but we're not sure why it had to happen. Any thoughts are welcome.
  • sling100sling100 Posts: 123
    Did you un-pair the existing remote and re-pair using the AMX ir? I've had this issue a few times and this always seems to solve it. It's in the general settings menu of the Apple TV.

Simon
  • davegrovdavegrov Posts: 114
    Unpairing

I did not try to unpaid the apple supplied remote. I'm not sure you can unpaid their proprietary remote.
  • davegrov wrote: »
    I did not try to unpaid the apple supplied remote. I'm not sure you can unpaid their proprietary remote.

The supplied remote comes unpaired. If you or the customer pairs the remote with a device, only that remote will control it.

Not quite sure how it works. I guess each remote sends the standard code with some type of address with it. Once paired it will only change when it sees that extra code with the IR. I'm pretty sure pairing is not changing the remote.

Kevin D.
  • Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Apple TV: Pairing and unpairing the Apple Remote

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1555
  • Apple TV 1, 2, or 3?

If 1, then you can use True's module if you can locate it or contact him directly. This will allow for IP control.

If 2, then you can use firecore's application, but you have to jailbreak first and now there is an untethered option to help with that. After, you'll have IP control; I did this with my own ATV2 at my house.

If 3, stick with IR, its your only option right now.

I like the feedback I get using firecore, so IR is out of the question for me. Best of luck
  • davegrov wrote: »
    I had a client call me to add an Apple TV to his system. First the Apple TV HDMI did not play well with the Integra AVR. (2009 Model). HDMI to the display and Toslink to the AVR fixed that problem.

Hi Dave. Although I'm not on the Apple TV issue here, I couldn't help noting you had the Integra/HDMI/Display issue. I've had similar, using Sony screens. (Not blaming Sony). Using various consumer devices, not just ATV.

I used to think that maybe the amp had a fault, but from your anecdotal experience, this seems to be common.
    The system had to be recabled as you've described, porting all HDMI to the display, then returning Digital Audio. But all that defeated a part of the reasoning for the Integra - HDMI switching. (although, yes, great audio is a nice side effect).

Not much we can do about it, but your comment has eased my concern about a need to 'repair' the amp.

Thanks for that.
  • AuserAuser Posts: 506
    My hunch is that this is a HDCP issue. I just went looking to find out how many HDCP keys the current ATV supports and this was the first result that popped up:
    after testing an AppleTV Gen2 on a ******** DM switch, the Gen2 only had 1 HDCP key. not ideal :(

The receiver is likely acting as a sink to grab the audio off the HDMI stream. If the gen 3 ATV is the same and will only share encrypted content with one device, then that's going to be the receiver.
  • the8thstthe8thst Posts: 470
    AppleTV 3s have at least 10 keys. I know this because I have a couple systems using AppleTV with a UTPro (zero key management) hooked up with 8 displays and 2 surround systems.

The problem is the Inegra. They have been plagued by HDMI issues since the x.9 series and say they have finally fixed everything (new chipset) in the xx.4 series. One thing you can try is using HDMI Out 2 on the Integra as that has been a stop gap fix for dealers in the past.

I have since moved to selling Yamaha Aventage receivers and have had zero HDMI issues (plus control and sound quality is improved as a bonus).