Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

DVDs not recorded in MAX

Guys,
Has anyone ever experienced in WinMAX 3.01 that when a DVD is recorded and the procedure is finished the DVD does not appear in the movies list of MAX?
The strange thing is that the MAX came from the factory with only 1 DVD loaded (Fifth Element) and this is the only DVD that appears at the movies tab. I've recorded 5-10 different DVDs and CDs without any luck.
The recording procedure goes very smoothly but the result is always the same.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Costas

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    You should probably first upgrade to Winmax 3.0.2, it's not avalaible on Website from AMX, you need to ask tech support to send you patch !

Vinc
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The AMG movie database that MAX uses is now also being used by Microsoft. Being the industry's 800 lb. gorilla, MS demanded some changes in the database structure, and of course got their way. This has left the MAX database lookups in an undetermined state since the new structure is not finalized (as I understand it). You definitely need WinMax 3.02 to get any reasonable lookup, but even then you get far too many choices for every DVD you pop in (for example, "Destroy all Monsters" was in the list for "Troy."

That said, this doesn't really sound like that kind of problem. Even with 3.01, I was able to load DVD's, and manually enter data when the lookup failed. I would first check the drive integrities, make sure none of the RAID arrays are degraded, all that fun stuff. If you have an MMS 900, you won't see both controllers in th WinMax admin interface, you have to do a shutdown and restart, then look at the arrays in the controller BIOS as the system boots back up.
  • Options
    billyungbillyung Posts: 16
    Costas,
    If you record using the local drive in your laptop or other computer running winmax, you will need to run the Process Inbox command on the MAX. If you wait a while, there is a CRON event that runs the Process Inbox automagically. If you use the server DVD drive to record (rip) this isn't necessary.

Hope this helps,

Bill
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Guys,
    Has anyone ever experienced in WinMAX 3.01 that when a DVD is recorded and the procedure is finished the DVD does not appear in the movies list of MAX?
    The strange thing is that the MAX came from the factory with only 1 DVD loaded (Fifth Element) and this is the only DVD that appears at the movies tab. I've recorded 5-10 different DVDs and CDs without any luck.
    The recording procedure goes very smoothly but the result is always the same.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Costas

When you go to the system tab, does the server show that it has 1 DVD or 6? (or whatever you've loaded)

Another question that might seem oblique but does have a reason is: Did you, after loading, change any of the meta-data? like Genre, etc...

I had a simlar thing happen when I was mass loading in a client's audio cd's. It was around Christmas time and the client wanted to have all her holiday discs loaded in so she could play Christmas music. However, when you'd load in a CD and try to find it in the database, the genre was always rock or vocal music or easy listening (or whatever) instead of Christmas or Holiday. (I didn't know separation of church and state went so far as music genre?)

So, I told our tech to manually change the genre to Christmas after loading the CDs. This turned out to totally blow out the MAX's internal db. All the discs loaded by the tech were either gone or, if they were there, they wouldn't play.

Wiley, from tech support, had to spend about 2 hours working on the 'under the hood' part of the data base and then I had to sit with him for another 40 minutes and use my local WINMAX software to re-find the CDs.

Once we'd done that, he had to tweak the MAX so that it wouldn't do it again.

Perhaps you're suffering from a similar problem.

Just a thought.

ejm
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This was a pretty old post, long resolved I think.