Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Second Opinion on RS232 Pinouts

I am connecting a device with a very non-standard serial pin out. I have included it below. Based on the NI serial ports I have come up with a pinout. I am wondering if this will be correct.

http://s29.postimg.org/d9748zjpz/LEAFRS232.png

My Pinout
My_Pinouts.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I am connecting a device with a very non-standard serial pin out. I have included it below. Based on the NI serial ports I have come up with a pinout. I am wondering if this will be correct.

http://s29.postimg.org/d9748zjpz/LEAFRS232.png

My Pinout
    My_Pinouts.jpg

Don't use 7 & 8.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    2 & 3 should be straight thru not crossed.
  • Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    Leaf gear is just standard 2,3,5 straight through from an AMX master, which is what your document shows. If it isn't working, the pinout is probably not the problem.
  • Options
    Also, has anyone ever done AMX with Leaf. As Leaf Australia told me it was impossible which I highly doubt due to the fact that I can send anything to RS232.

The funny thing is thay have Control4, Cre$tron and RTI modules/drivers but nothing for AMX.
  • Options
    Also, has anyone ever done AMX with Leaf. As Leaf Australia told me it was impossible which I highly doubt due to the fact that I can send anything to RS232.

The funny thing is thay have Control4, Cre$tron and RTI modules/drivers but nothing for AMX.

AMX can do whatever any of those other guys can do and AMX does it better. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    Maybe my problem is not the cable but the programming. When I send my code I get the TX and RX lights together. But I am unsure if I am sending the correct commands or formated correctly. I have set the Baudrate on the 5001:1:1 to 9600 as per the protocol docs.

Could someone create a sample command for me based on this information Leaf emailed me so that I can test it out as I think I am not formating it correctly.
    Each command is a 3 byte word.
    It must be sent in HEX format, @ 9600bd.

Of the 3 byte word,
    the first byte is the “command”
    the 2nd byte selects “Source/ Input” by its physical number (in HEX format) ie. 01 for input 1, 02 for input 2, 09 for input 9, 0A for input 10 etc (remember it’s HEX)
    the 3rd byte selects “Zone / Output” by its “logical” number (the physical number minus one). ie. 00 for zone 1,  01 for zone 2, 08 for zone 9, 09 for zone 10, 0A for zone 11 etc.

From memory I think the LHDxx series only respond to the main commands of Zone ON (48),  Zone OFF (47),  Global ON, (52) and Global OFF. (53).

• Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    When I send my code I get the TX and RX lights together.

I can't speak to the formatting but whenever I see the TX/RX light up simultaneously its usually because of a loopback in the wiring. The command is going out but then looping back around into RX. Make sure no wires are connected but 2, 3, 5 if that isn't the case.
    Paul
  • Options
    From the information given:
    // Zone ON cmd - input 10 to output 5
     SEND_STRING dvLeaf,"$48,$0A,$04"

Do you have a copy of the protocol? We really can’t be sure about anything without seeing it.

Following up on what Paul said: Unplug the cable from the Leaf side. If you still get RX when you TX then you know for sure you have a short. I’ve seen that happen plenty of times. You can also turn on Notifications and see if you’re getting an echo. Or maybe the RX is a just hair after the TX and what you are seeing is a valid. Maybe the response is just quick. You really need a copy of the protocol to know for sure.

Also, make sure you are setting the baud rate in the data_event and not define_start. You can do a GET BAUD to confirm that the baud rate is correct.
  • Options
    Here is the protocol docs.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60305083/interface_spec_140510_09.pdf

Also I never knew about doing baud as a DATA_EVENT
  • Options
    Thanks Joe for your help.

I made a mistake I was using SEND_COMMAND not SEND_STRING.

I was in a hurry when i made my the program. :)
  • Options
    Been there done that. Just remember that COMMANDS go TO the device and STRINGS go THRU the device.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    Thanks Joe for you help.

I made a mistake I was using SEND_COMMAND not SEND_STRING.

I was in a hurry when i made my the programm. :)

That's why I always ask people to post their code if they want help.
    Paul