Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Fragile Axlink Network

Hey guys, weird hardware problem again...

I have this system working with 16 lighting control modules. A thunderstorm hit the place a few weeks ago and both master and slave(a NI3100 and an old Axcent3) had it's axlink port damaged(stopped communicating). I replaced the master with a NI2100 but I can't get the axlink network to work properly with this lighting modules.

I started plugging them one by one, but when I plug the 6th or 7th module some other module "dies"(axlink freezes). If I plug all the modules only 5 or 6 actually work, the others don't even show up in the online tree nor blink their axlink leds.

I tried different orders to start them up, tested each module individually, double checked the network cabling, but I ran out of ideas. You guys have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Just a thought...

Are the modules you are plugging in powered over the axlink bus? If so, you may have a damaged power supply. The problem might be due to power starvation as you begin to load up the power supply with loads. That would explain why the individual boxes work but you get random flakiness once several are online. The lightning strike could have damaged the voltage regulator or something.

Here again, just a thought based on limited info.
  • If plugged in individually, do they all work (when only 1 unit is connected at a time)? Is it only when more than 6 are connected that units 7 and higher do not work or are there some that are simply not responsive regardless of how many are connected?
  • Eric... No, the modules are powered by the house's main power system(still, could this intefere somehow?). I forgot to mention, but I replaced the original master's power supply to discard that option too.

Chris... They all work if plugged individually. The problem begins after plugging 6 or more modules and, the decision of which ones will work seems to be completely arbitrary.
  • Sounds like theres not enough current in the replacement P.S. to me....
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Agreed, sounds too much like low power to disregard just because hardware changed. Try powering half the bunch independently (add a supply and sever a branch) and see what happens. It will definitively answer this question either way, and very likely will solve it.
  • svTechsvTech Posts: 44
    How long is the associated Axlink cabling to each Axlink device and total cable used? Axlink has specific cabling restrictions depending on the type of cabling used. As you add devices, you need to add up the total cabling lengths attached to the one master and/or the one power supply. AMX has a published spec on Axlink cabling considerations. I don't have the document handy at the moment, but you can find it on the AMX website.

Bottom line is that total cable length can never exceed 3000ft although the total length becomes much less if you are using CAT5 cabling. I think the CAT5 length is 1000ft. This is total length of cable attached, not the longest individual run.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    svTech wrote: »
    How long is the associated Axlink cabling...

Referring to the original posted question, it's fair to presume the line lengths did not get a lot longer right after the lightning strike.