Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Direct DMX-512 Control

Has anyone successfully controlled DMX-512 devices directly from an AMX processor? From what I can gather, it is a 485 bus, but it requires 250k baud. According to the documentation, AMX processors only go to 115k baud. I am wondering if there might be an undocumented support for the higher baud rate.

I can figure out the protocol, but I don't want to start if I can't physically talk to the devices :)

Comments

• Options
    JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    The difficulty other than speed that you are going to have is generating the break between frames of data. Never tried generating breaks with AMX ports so I have no idea how difficult it is. If you want to do any dimming you will have a lot of overhead calculating the fades and handling the different dimming curves for different types of lighting units. Has the AXB-DMX512 been discontinued too?
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    In the research I have done since posting this, I have decided that coding this to use a native AMX port doesn't make a lot of sense. I am not sure about the AXB-DMX512, but I saw some other threads that identified limitations with that unit that would impact my ability to use it on my current project. As a result, I am currently considering creating an Arduino solution to handle the physical DMX transmissions.

I haven't decided if I am going to create a Serial to DMX adapter or an Ethernet (UDP) to DMX adapter, but I will let you know if I am successful. A big part of the decision will be made by what RadioShack/Frys/MicroCenter have in stock :)

My initial thought is to code the fade in AMX and simply send the address/level info to the Arduino to put on the DMX bus.

Thank you for the input.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Why not use the AXB-DMX512 box ? that does the job perfectly ;)
  • Options
    JasonSJasonS Posts: 229
    If you are able/willing to discuss the specific application I would be interested to hear about it. I have a background in theatrical lighting and I have implemented DMX control on an embedded platform before (PIC 18F series micro controller).
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I haven't decided if I am going to create a Serial to DMX adapter or an Ethernet (UDP) to DMX adapter, but I will let you know if I am successful. A big part of the decision will be made by what RadioShack/Frys/MicroCenter have in stock :)
    If all you need to do is playback pre-designed shows or sequences, take a look at the Enttec DMX Streamer.
    http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70015

I'm currently getting two of them here setup playing back demo shows for a couple of banquet rooms so our sales team can bring in clients and create the room look without needing a tech on site 100% of the time.

The streamer can record a complete show (with timings) in real time, and then playback the whole show or portions of it triggered from the front panel or through RS232.
  • Options
    vincen wrote: »
    Why not use the AXB-DMX512 box ? that does the job perfectly ;)

I have the exact same question... what is wrong with the AXB-DMX512?

Nothing. I've done two installations with it just recently.. no problem whatsoever.
  • Options
    I have the exact same question... what is wrong with the AXB-DMX512?

Nothing. I've done two installations with it just recently.. no problem whatsoever.

Agreed, not much you can't do with it communication wise.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I am sure that the AXB-DMX512 is a great piece, but I am just experimenting with a concept. At MSRP of $1000 for the AXB-DMX512, the experiment would be over before it began :). I was able to get an Arduino Uno for $20, a DMX shield for $22, and an Ethernet Shield for $34 (there is a $20 version available).

So far, everything is going well. I assembled/created the Arduino code to listen for UDP commands and translate them to DMX512 control.

This experiment is not based on a specific show that has to run. It is more of an artistic endeavor and a fun thing for me to relax with at the end of the day.

Thanks for all of the input.
  • Options
    Spire_Jeff wrote: »
    I am sure that the AXB-DMX512 is a great piece, but I am just experimenting with a concept. At MSRP of $1000 for the AXB-DMX512, the experiment would be over before it began :). I was able to get an Arduino Uno for $20, a DMX shield for $22, and an Ethernet Shield for $34 (there is a $20 version available).

So far, everything is going well. I assembled/created the Arduino code to listen for UDP commands and translate them to DMX512 control.

This experiment is not based on a specific show that has to run. It is more of an artistic endeavor and a fun thing for me to relax with at the end of the day.

Thanks for all of the input.

Oh, well, if it's for relaxation, then that's understandable :)
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    I predict that the Arduino platform will one day rule the world for under $100.
    Well maybe with a little help from Raspberry Pi.

These two little guys can do so much for so little.
  • Options
    SteexSteex Posts: 7
    This might help

Hi everyone,

For DMX control, I've used for the longest of time a little device I used to buy in germany it was cheap (somewhere in the 250€...)

A while ago, I ordered a new one and the guy told me he was retiring but before doing so he posted online all his schematics and the firmware of his device...

here is the link to it ...

http://www.midi-and-more.de/rsdmx-interface.htm

Hope it helps

Stephane