Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Can an EL panel be programmed with windows 7

I am hoping there has been a workaround for using windows 7 to run tp design 1.23. I am currently running it on an old laptop to do the old EL panels. My windows 7 computer will not see the serial ports in the XP emulation mode. I am guessing there is no fix for this. I just thought maybe someone had figured out how to support these old panels that seem to run forever with windows 7 or 8.

As far as I can tell tp design 3 and 4 do not support EL panels.

Michael

ironcoder@charter.net

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I thnk the EL was actually able to be programmed without a computer. You can enter edit mode and create buttons, layout, colors, etc. it's kinda kludgey but it can be done. Just an FYI... G3 panels can be found on ebay for under a hundred bucks.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,740
    Yes, just replace them... not that going G3 is a great idea, but it is a huge upgrade - color, video, fonts....
    I happen to have at least 10 old tabletop and a few wall 10" CV10, CA10, and CG10 panels in great shape that I can be talked out of extremely cheaply. Extremely. I know I'm not alone in that.
  • micodermicoder Posts: 36
    Well I might be game
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Yes, just replace them... not that going G3 is a great idea, but it is a huge upgrade - color, video, fonts....
    I happen to have at least 10 old tabletop and a few wall 10" CV10, CA10, and CG10 panels in great shape that I can be talked out of extremely cheaply. Extremely. I know I'm not alone in that.

How much do you want for a couple of those panels? I prefer the CV10s, but the others would work too.

Michael
    ironcoder@charter.net
  • NZRobNZRob Posts: 70
    "My windows 7 computer will not see the serial ports in the XP emulation mode."

Just on a side note - I use serial with XP mode for a few things - I use a Serial-to-USB then using the menu - connect the USB to XP mode. Not had a problem yet.
    usb to serial
    NZRob wrote: »
    "My windows 7 computer will not see the serial ports in the XP emulation mode."

Just on a side note - I use serial with XP mode for a few things - I use a Serial-to-USB then using the menu - connect the USB to XP mode. Not had a problem yet.

My windows 7 machine in XP emulation does not see the usb - serial adapters. Are you saying there is a way to make them work anyway? I am all ears.

Michael

ironcoder@charter.net
    usb to RS232

Well I did buy one of those USB to RS232 converters. It certainly did not work in XP emulation mode, but did amazingly work just fine windows 7. I selected this converter in TP design 3 and netlinx studio. It works fine. I had nothing to lose trying one of these. Now I can remove my RS232 board and this will free up a space in my mother board for a USB3 card.

Michael
    received your panels all in good shape
    John Nagy wrote: »

Got the panels yesterday John.

They all survived the trip. I tested them. The one marked bad tests good except as you noted, it does not work on the network. This I rightly or wrongly interpret as the panel itself being good and the board underneath being bad. This means with some work I can replace a panel that has gone too dim with the panel part of this bad one that has good brightness. Just a theory.

Thanks again for helping me out. I was just kind of stuck about the EL panels and could not get myself to part with them until I got a heads up from you. I will begin replacing my EL panels soon. I will start with the worst job. It is so old it has no connectors on the back. I need to install the correct connectors and put in the colour panel.

My home has 5 panels currently. I have a place for a 6th. I also have the rather rare audio board. I have speakers in every room of our home and in our garage. Any alert gives us the information as to what happened via voice. It is very nice not having to run to a panel. I keep looking for a spare audio board but they are just so rare I cannot find one.

Thanks again,

Michael
  • NZRobNZRob Posts: 70
    micoder wrote: »
    My windows 7 machine in XP emulation does not see the usb - serial adapters. Are you saying there is a way to make them work anyway? I am all ears.

Michael

ironcoder@charter.net

There is a setting at the top to assign USB ports in XP emulation - have you tried using the attach?