Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Alternative product to PLB-AS16

Hi,
Does anyone know of a good product that could be used as an alternative to the PLB-AS16? It?s a shame AMX have discontinued this product without releasing an alternative. I guess it a strategic move away from audio.

Justin

Comments

• Options
    Vaux Electronics make a decent variety of switchers in the Lattis series with RS-232 for low dollars.
  • Options
    I was so used to the AS16 that I hope there are products out there that can do the same or even better. I looked at the ADA module and it can do a lot. What about feedback/bargraphs with the ADA? I also can't believe that AMX didn't plan for a substitute product. They release a whole line of MIO keypads ideal for whole house audio, but don't offer a comparable audio switcher. I hope they have one in the works, which will be IP based, have built-in source gain adjustments, and integrate well with the Modero Panels and keypads providing bargrapgh interaction and feedback. AMX, your competition has one, please help us dealers on keeping selling AMX whole house audio.

Ricardo
  • Options
    We've used most of the Knox Video line and we are completely happy. First job was with the Chameleon64, which is card expandable from 8x8 to 64x64. The MediaFlex is a nice unit, more for power users with all the controls on the front. We just used a RSII on our latest job and it's pretty sweet.

Retail pricing on the RSII is: 16x16 audio only is $2195, add in $695 for the volume/tone/loudness/mute/input trim option. The IP control module is an additional $249. It's basically an IP-RS232 adapter built in, so unless you need it somewhere else, stick with plain RS232. You can also add 16x16 composite video for only $400.

The command structure is stupid easy, and all in ASCII.. IE, 'B0104' switches audio and video input 1 to output 4. 'a0104' would just be audio. Only real pain to code was the volume commands. They use a 0-64 NEGATIVE db scale. A few lines of code will translate an AMX 0-255 positive level to send to the switcher:
    V_LEVEL=(V_LEVEL/4)
            V_LEVEL=(64-V_LEVEL)

Now converting that to properly display on a 0-100 DMS level and also change volume from the DMS level page is a different story.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    mkassalmkassal Posts: 12
    AS16 replacement FYI

Autopatch just released a 8x8 and 18x18 serially controlled audio switcher called the precis LT with DSP.

This product was engineered as a replacement for all the AS16 requests from AMX dealers left to scramble on their own.

Its cost is the same as the AS16.

Hopefully AMX releases a module in the future for dealers.

Michael Kassal