Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

High failure rate of MSD-701

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone else out there in AMX-land has been seeing a high failure rate of the new 7" touch panels? We have had approx 30 installed and are up to 5 cracked at this point. One thing that makes it kind of hard to determine is our company did not do the physical install, we sold these as part of a package and the local installers did the work. However each site used professional A/C contractors, one site particular integrator verifed panels were not cracked at time of install but shortly after system came on line three panels become cracked. All three of thees also seem to originate from the lower left corner and our TP file doesn't have any buttons there either?? Have asked this question to the service dept and haven't received a response yet in two days.... Appreciate any help any one has for me.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I hate to say it, but this is not unusual with a new panel roll-out from AMX. I returned every single one of the first NXD-500's we purchased ... they literally were installed days after AMX started shipping. I tell my sales people all the time to stay away from cutting-edge AMX releases if they can help it, but sadly, they decided to not push AMX at all instead.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I hate to say it, , but sadly, they decided to not push AMX at all instead.
    Damned if you do damned if you don't. Plus for resi folks like us there's not enough AMX product to sell to maintain the sales requirements especially since the shift to iThings so they increase your cost by 20% cuz you can't meet the minimum sales. If your primary focus is resi AMX makes it almost impossible to sell their products, try as we may.

I was talking to an old rep the other day that handled AMX resi in the northeast and he said they couldn't break away from AMX fast enough because of their mentality. That's probably why the northeast has been through 6? rep firms since I've been dealing AMX products. The current rep firm seems to cares nothing about AMX or their AMX dealers and if you think about it why should they, dealers are becoming fewer, AMX resi sales are low and no one I know is striving to become an AMX dealer. It's no longer "the" product that AV dealers wish they could sell or wish they had the skills to sell, program and install.

Commercial seems to be doing well though and everyone I've ever talked to says that's all they care about so the resi guys get left out consideration during the decision making processes but maybe that's just the way it appears to us lowly resi guys.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    vining wrote: »
    Damned if you do damned if you don't. Plus for resi folks like us there's not enough AMX product to sell to maintain the sales requirements especially since the shift to iThings so they increase your cost by 20% cuz you can't meet the minimum sales. If your primary focus is resi AMX makes it almost impossible to sell their products, try as we may.

I was talking to an old rep the other day that handled AMX resi in the northeast and he said they couldn't break away from AMX fast enough because of their mentality. That's probably why the northeast has been through 6? rep firms since I've been dealing AMX products. The current rep firm seems to cares nothing about AMX or their AMX dealers and if you think about it why should they, dealers are becoming fewer, AMX resi sales are low and no one I know is striving to become an AMX dealer. It's no longer "the" product that AV dealers wish they could sell or wish they had the skills to sell, program and install.

Commercial seems to be doing well though and everyone I've ever talked to says that's all they care about so the resi guys get left out consideration during the decision making processes but maybe that's just the way it appears to us lowly resi guys.

In fairness, think the same basic thing can be said for Resi in general. I honestly don't see it as exclusively an AMX thing. It's just the typical race to the bottom we see in many other ver tickle spaces that rely on technology. It ironic that I run into Savant dealers lamenting how Control 4 has eaten some of their market share. Bear in mind, I'm not defending the behaviors you mention. But, I do think the decline in the market overall carries a lot if the blame.

Meanwhile the commercial side seems pretty robust. That's what I've seen anyway.
  • Options
    I just got out of 18 years in resi (12+ selling PHAST, then AMX and Vantage) and made the move to commercial. One of the reasons behind my decision to make the jump is the change in how the resi clientele started to view integrators. We went from spec'ing ADA and Kaleidescape and Runco and AMX because that was the best solution for the clients' needs, to getting calls like, "I just bought this AppleTV I need installed" and, "I just bought this $60 Bluray player at the drugstore and I need it installed." No kidding. In a $12 million house.

I agree that this attitude in part is the reason AMX et al are effectively abandoning the resi market. Who will buy a control system and an R4 when a Harmony appears to do the same thing?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    To say nothing of Universal Remote Controls. Jobs that required a control system 5 years ago can be done with a cheap remote and RF base. They will handle RS-232, basic logic, and some IP two-way devices. We are split pretty even right now between Savant for bigger jobs, and COntrol4 for intermediate ... everything else is Universal. AMX has been relegated to maintaining legacy systems, and even then when I get a dead panel, we are mostly replacing them with an iPad and TPControl.
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad I gave everyone a forum to vent their frustrations ;) Yes product roll out is not AMX's strong suit if anything I would say an obvious weakness, particularly back order and shipping delays. Response I got from our rep was the cracking panel can be contributed to excess wire in the back box resulting in binding or undue pressure. I am sure if there is a rev2 screen it will be installed very very quietly. So looks like I will need to shrug off this absurd failure rate as sub-contractor's error. How to "Win Friends and Influence People 101" by AMX. For what it is worth I work in commercial, with ever increasing network capabilities of all AV devices the control industry in general will have some upcoming changes very shortly
  • Options
    John,
    The physical body of the G5 panel is the same as the Modero X G4 - there were no changes to the design or manufacturing process. As a result, the glass design is not new. The only change between a G4 and a G5 is the processor located on a small daughter board within the housing.

As for the glass breakage, I cannot speak to that without the specifics of the installation. It is plausible that pressure from the back side of the glass could cause this. I can envision a scenario where significant excess cable was stuffed in the back box housing creating pressure once the glass front was installed. Is there conduit running to the same side of the box as the crack? The consistency of the break point location is what I find most interesting. Did you ever go to the job site to inspect these locations for yourself? It would be nice to know if the same person installed all or some of the panels - if it was only some, was it all of the ones that broke?

Because someone else installed them, we may not be able to get all of the details we would like to better understand the nature of the problem.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    AMX_Chris wrote: »
    John,
    The physical body of the G5 panel is the same as the Modero X G4 - there were no changes to the design or manufacturing process. As a result, the glass design is not new. The only change between a G4 and a G5 is the processor located on a small daughter board within the housing.

Is the glass on the S series the same as G4/G5? This thread is about the S 701.
  • Options
    John is correct - My apologies... the OP is on S-series. Not sure why I missed that in the post or in the trouble ticket report. One character... Big difference. The glass is not the same - projected capacitance in the X and smoothtouch in the S.

I will inquire about this to the product manager for further details.

The other troubleshooting questions still apply. Do you have any more information about the installation?
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    jhoughton wrote: »
    Response I got from our rep was the cracking panel can be contributed to excess wire in the back box resulting in binding or undue pressure.

That would be my first guess as well. I remember getting to a job with the old DMS-MIO keypads. All five had sticking buttons, intermittent button presses, generally flaky operation, and one had a cracked screen. I was mad at AMX for building such a poorly designed product, until I pulled one out of the wall. The installer, not wanting to have any parts left over, had installed them all with both the pre-drywall and post-drywall hardware, and somehow managed to still squeeze the thing into the wall. The unit was so squished the buttons were sticking, the circuit board was warped, and one screen had cracked. I had him reinstall them all with only the post-drywall hardware, and then they all worked fine and still do to this day. I was impressed that AMX could build a product that could withstand that type of abuse, and then work fine for years.
    Paul