Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

SRC password

Hi all,

One quick question.

I downloaded SRC file from NI-3100 and when I extracted it, but it has a password.
Do I have an option to by pass the password and extract src file and edit it.

and can I upload a new SRC file even if the current SRC file is password protected.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    GregGGregG Posts: 251
    The src file you get out of the master is essentially a zip file and its contents are protected exactly the same way. In other words, there is no back door to gain access.

The 2 main ways to get into a protected zip are:
    1) Get the original author or someone at their company to tell you the password. (Social engineering)
    2) Guess the correct password, usually done via a program that uses a dictionary or just tries every possibility.

Usually option 1 is easier, and the legality of option #2 is questionable.

However, if all else fails: Since you were able to connect to pull the old program out, you should be able to just replace the program entirely with a new creation of your own.
  • Options
    tbelltbell Posts: 10
    Had the same thing.
    arvinnino wrote: »
    Hi all,

One quick question.

I downloaded SRC file from NI-3100 and when I extracted it, but it has a password.
    Do I have an option to by pass the password and extract src file and edit it.

and can I upload a new SRC file even if the current SRC file is password protected.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same thing on Friday. Company long out of business, my customer buys a Motor coach with AMX on board. Trying to track down original programmer for password. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't mess around with someone else's program anyway. If it's a simple system, it's easy enough to re-write. If it's a complex system, you might spend as much time trying to wrap your head around the other guy's style of coding that you may as well re-write it. As it is, you have a built-in excuse. I would just quote a new program.
  • Options
    GregGGregG Posts: 251
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't mess around with someone else's program anyway. If it's a simple system, it's easy enough to re-write. If it's a complex system, you might spend as much time trying to wrap your head around the other guy's style of coding that you may as well re-write it. As it is, you have a built-in excuse. I would just quote a new program.

Yes. Exactly.

There have been too many times when I was forced to add "just this one change" to someone else's ancient job, and even though the one little bit I added worked as requested - I still ended up wasting hours when the end user essentially re-tested the entire job and expected me to "fix" other code that never worked in the first place.
  • Options
    truetrue Posts: 307
    If the project has a touchpanel and it too is password protected, and the passwords match, then you may be lucky there. If no panel, or not password protected, I can't help you there =( Contact me if you have a password-protected .tp4 but can't get the password.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    true wrote: »
    If the project has a touchpanel and it too is password protected, and the passwords match, then you may be lucky there. If no panel, or not password protected, I can't help you there =( Contact me if you have a password-protected .tp4 but can't get the password.

"These are not the droids we seek. Let them pass..."