Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Nest API

Has anyone had a chance to give the API a go?

https://developer.nest.com/documentation/how-to-auth#accesstoken

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    It looks like not using https isn't an option.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Yeah, didn't notice that, oh well. I wonder if the new masters will be able to handle ssl/tsl on the java side?
  • Options
    mstocummstocum Posts: 120
    vining wrote: »
    Yeah, didn't notice that, oh well. I wonder if the new masters will be able to handle ssl/tsl on the java side?

From what I've heard, it should be no problem. Supposedly they're running Java SE 7, and should have the processing power to handle it. You can do HTTPS on the NI series in Java, it just takes roughly 10 seconds per request.
  • Options
    AMXJeffAMXJeff Posts: 450
    mstocum wrote: »
    From what I've heard, it should be no problem. Supposedly they're running Java SE 7, and should have the processing power to handle it. You can do HTTPS on the NI series in Java, it just takes roughly 10 seconds per request.

oAuth is also used, I have done some work on oAuth manager in duet, but the HTTPS is a hurdle, like you said the new controller has more memory and faster processor and running SE 7. So things are looking up!

But it seems you have to go out to the internet to get this information anyway, create a middleware (proxy) service on the internet for all your customers. And have it deal with the stuff outside your controllers capablities.
  • Options
    I cannot believe that AMX didn't join Nest Developer Program (like Crеstron, RTI, etc). To me it looks like AMX dropped a ball on residential market - no Nest module, no good residential GUI (not to mention Retina ready GUI), no further development on ZigBee gateway to work with 3rd party hardware (although promised), and so and so...

A few days ago i told my client that AMX is a best control system on a market today. But he asked me for Nest control... I no longer have that client...
  • Options
    Oh don't be starting the "no real support for residential" again. Been there, seen it done it.

The best thing you can do is vote with your feet. Find something that works for you, use AMX when you can and when you can't find a product that works for the job.
    I used to be solely AMX and I love the product and software, but it doesn't work for me on certain jobs...namely residential. So I've just started doing C*****n and this fills the gaps and also allows me to compete with the guys who also do it.
    No one, high enough up, is bothering to listen, so you just have to figure out how to make it work for you.
    I didn't want to do it, but the competition have some really good stuff on offer and its pretty quick to pick up. The new C*****n processors allow you to run 10 individual programs at once..this allows you to split up your projects and helps if you have some errant code that you can't tie down....nice!
    I now use a mixture of control systems depending on what type of job i'm doing. Previously I would have specified AMX for everything and lost probably 50-70% because I couldn't compete on cost.
    Now ,because I have a choice, I'm winning a lot more...lesson learnt.....plus I don't feel like a one trick pony!
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I don't really get the big deal with Nest tstats, and to lose a client over one is silly. They look gimmicky to me, probably aren't secure, and don't really have any blow me away features. Any half decent AMX programmer can program a learning mode, but why bother? Who wants to set their thermostat a few times a day for a week until it learns your pattern? You already know your pattern, so its easier just to program it in. Don't like AMX's 4 period scheduling? Fine write your own scheduler that has more set points, and control it yourself or alerts clients when things go wrong.

Typically with the AMX tstats, while not perfect, at least I can completely control them easily, and not get HTTPS involved for crying out loud. Its a tstat not a bank. Maybe I'm daft, but other than having a glossy UI for something that should be controlled on a touch panel anyway, its not worth the bother. Plus they stick out from the wall too far. Most of my clients have AMX tstats buried in a closet so they don't have yet another wall wart.

I've heard it doesn't even control your system very well and has lots of bugs because its way too complicated for something you need to be failsafe. Oops, your $100,000 wine cellar got set to 95 degrees over the weekend and you had no idea? Too bad. Turned on the A/C in the winter and froze your garage floor pipes? Oops, I guess we should have tested it a bit more. No thanks.
    Paul
  • Options
    ...................and so say us all
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    I don't really get the big deal with Nest tstats, and to lose a client over one is silly. They look gimmicky to me, probably aren't secure, and don't really have any blow me away features. Any half decent AMX programmer can program a learning mode, but why bother? Who wants to set their thermostat a few times a day for a week until it learns your pattern? You already know your pattern, so its easier just to program it in. Don't like AMX's 4 period scheduling? Fine write your own scheduler that has more set points, and control it yourself or alerts clients when things go wrong.

Typically with the AMX tstats, while not perfect, at least I can completely control them easily, and not get HTTPS involved for crying out loud. Its a tstat not a bank. Maybe I'm daft, but other than having a glossy UI for something that should be controlled on a touch panel anyway, its not worth the bother. Plus they stick out from the wall too far. Most of my clients have AMX tstats buried in a closet so they don't have yet another wall wart.

I've heard it doesn't even control your system very well and has lots of bugs because its way too complicated for something you need to be failsafe. Oops, your $100,000 wine cellar got set to 95 degrees over the weekend and you had no idea? Too bad. Turned on the A/C in the winter and froze your garage floor pipes? Oops, I guess we should have tested it a bit more. No thanks.
    Paul

I agree with this. There are certain things in our homes that the client actually does NOT want to interact with all the time. a T-Stat is one of them.

I did a prett sophisticated E-Saver program back in the mid 2000s that did a whole buch of stuff using room occupancy sensors, weather data, temp sensors and energy monitors. In my own home it ended up saving close to half on my energy bills.

but, in the client's homes it ran smack-dab into the cruel reality of cold-blooded grand parents, kids who haven't the sense to dress properly for the existing climate conditions and people who got mad that they set the TStat to a temp and "Someone" changed it.

I'm of the opinion that the unwashed masses will make a major paradigm shift once truly reliable voice control happens for environmental contorls. When someone can simply utter the phrase, "I'm chilly" and the TStat bumps up a tick or two, then we'll see people embrace the technology. But, making them walk over to the wall or open up their smart phone and launch an app to deal with the temp is just klunky.
  • Options
    I like my Nest t-stat, although it does seem to have learned that unoccupied is its normal operating mode...
  • Options
    icraigie wrote: »
    I like my Nest t-stat, although it does seem to have learned that unoccupied is its normal operating mode...

So that's how it saves you money. Pretty clever...
    Paul
  • Options
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I'm of the opinion that the unwashed masses will make a major paradigm shift once truly reliable voice control happens for environmental controls. When someone can simply utter the phrase, "I'm chilly" and the TStat bumps up a tick or two, then we'll see people embrace the technology.

Well, we have that product. Just say, "Quick warmup" (or anything, edit it in plain text) we already do that. Complete control of what occurs, the default being that the thermostat gets set up, and 10 minutes later returns.

But people aren't really ready for voice control, apparently. I think it will ramp up as cars are using it in a very good hands-free application.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'll get on the voice control bandwagon the instant I can stop repeating myself five times before giving up in disgust and doing it manually. I apparently have one of those voices that VC apps have difficulty with; even on a high-powered PC, a throat mike, and Dragon software, it has enough trouble with my voice I just can't be bothered. And I don't think I'm alone ... it's just not at the level of reliability that, say, touch screens are. Now, I remember lots of grousing about touch screens too, and that got sorted out, so I'm not giving up on the technology, I just don't think it's quite ready for prime time yet.

It's also kind of gimmicky, IMO. I'm not sure I really want to be talking to my devices or my computer. It's like the silly hand-waving Minority Report made famous ... you really want to do that all day instead of typing and using a pointing device? I think this falls in the same category. I foresee one application where it makes sense: when your control device becomes your defacto "house computer," and you have pickups in every room, and can speak naturally and have it understand your commands. But again, we aren't there yet.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    Well, we have that product. Just say, "Quick warmup" (or anything, edit it in plain text) we already do that. Complete control of what occurs, the default being that the thermostat gets set up, and 10 minutes later returns.

But people aren't really ready for voice control, apparently. I think it will ramp up as cars are using it in a very good hands-free application.

For most of that you have to first push a button anyway, so you might as well push the button that has that function instead of pushing a button to start voice commands, and then start talking. Voice to text works ok for a text or an email, but I prefer to push buttons to control devices.
    Paul
  • Options
    I agree about pushing buttons, but when you have 100 things you could do, drilling through menus to find them is harder than pressing the same button for anything at all, including asking for statuses, etc.

But again, that's why we are working with several apps that provide hands free trigger phrases so you never have to touch the panel. Using UTTER and ALIC and other tools.

Now in the dark, in bed, I can say "Hey Cindy" and the panel will wake and say "Ready".
    I say "what time is it" and it responds in speech.
    I say "what's the weather tomorrow" and it gives me current and forecast information.
    I say "Wake me with music in 20 minutes"
    "Set an alarm for 8 o'clock".
    "Warm me up for 10 minutes."
    "Turn on the fireplace."
    "What's the alarm status?" (it gives me a spoken report)
    "Open the garage door"
    "Do I have email?"
    "Text Tim: Are we ready yet?"
    "Launch Pandora"
    "Turn up the volume"
    "Page the whole house...." then speak over all the intercoms...
    "Lights out."
    "All rooms off"
    "I'll be back at five, have the house ready..." whereupon a whole list of activities and timed events go into play...

And never take my hands out from under the covers, or even look at the panel.
    We have it doing all that and more (1,500 items internally, hundreds at the system level, plus asking GOOGLE complex questions with spoken answers...
    It's just not quite stable over days of use yet for it to be releasable to the public. But at this rate, it will happen, by us and others, and spoken commands will become much more accepted and common.
    Car appilcations may push most people over the edge. And once you get used to just asking for things to happen, it's how you WANT to get things to happen.

Not having to touch the activation button is really a huge deal. You really do start interacting with the device as an actual assistant.
    Sorry to go on about it, but I am pretty excited about this development. All the more reason you need a central control system, above the many silos of proprietary, walled-off functions.
  • Options
    If your client was disabled, or perhaps blind, I can see how that could be really helpful if it works and is reliable. The problem isn't the hassle of pressing buttons, its time. I can find out the current weather on my UI with one button press. I have all the information I could possibly want at a glance. But to get the weather with speech I have to do "Hey Cindy"...wait...."Ready"...."What is the current temperature?"....wait...."70 degrees"..... "Hey Cindy"...wait...."Ready"...."What is the current forecast?"....wait....etc. It gets old really quickly. If you are a blind quadriplegic, that would be tolerated, but its just so much faster and more reliable with a good UI. If you design the UI well, people enjoy using it rather than seeing it as a chore.
    Paul
  • Options
    The :wait: and repetition is a lot less than you think, already. It will progressively be less and less as development (not just by us, not just in our industry...) continues.

I'll be happy when this control mode is more like JARVIS and less like SIRI.