Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

CANBUS

I will keep this short...

Would an AMX controller be able to keep up with the constant flow of data from a CANBUS?

There would be a CANBUS to RS232 adapter or something similar being used.

The reason I ask, is that we have a few current vehicle systems (audio, hvac, diag, etc) that we are wanting to toy with. Where it may lead us to in the future is unknown. Just looking for a "Bad Idea" or any bits of info I can use.

Thanks!

Comments

• ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    More than likely yes but a lot depends upon many factors.

If you focus on the single port itself much will depend upon the size of the messages and how/if they are terminated. Efficient code will help it keep up. String operations (like Find_String, etc...) are pretty spendy tasks. It would be wise to create. An efficient queuing system to handle the traffic flow.

then you add another layer to the equation: what other tasks is the processor controlling?

Quite often I will use a separate NI processor for chatty boxes. This helps the control system share the load and allow other processors to get on with their life of controlling oTher things.

My motto is when in doubt, add a processor.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Especially if you spec'd a new NX-1200 just for the CanBus. The problem I see if there was a constant flow on incoming data would be the ability to handle simultaneous tasks from other devices and UIs. Expect to use a dedicated processor but first try with other devices and see what happens.