Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Configure Ni 700

Hi Guys,

I have to program a Ni700 Controller. I don't Have a router. So i have to program it using a patch code directly Connected to my laptop. Can any 1 suggest me how do i do that. What static Ip should i give to my Laptop. and how do i get the ip address of the Controller for communication.

Your Help will be appreciated..

Thanks in Advance Guys :)

Comments

• Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    This won't work at all, given that you don't know the IP of the 700.
    First, if you use a single network cable and no switch, it needs to be a crossover, they are usually RED and/or marked CROSSOVER.
    Next, if the IP of the 700 is static, you have to set your PC to the same network. But you don't know what.
    Or if the 700 is DHCP, you still can't get to it without a router/DHCP server in the middle.

You can use the serial port, by which you can set IP and other stuff too.
    As covered in detail in the manuals.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You can just grab a simple network switch. Then you can use normal cables. But Jon's point is still in play; you'll need to get/set the NI 700's network settings going at any rate.
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    You never be without a WAP with an internal DHCP router.
    The last one I bought cost me $40.

If you are on site and really stuck then download and install OpenDHCP. This will allow your PC to supply a DHCP address to the NetLinx master, just don't forget to stop OpenDHCP before putting your computer on a corporate network or you will get a very angry IT administrator.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    champ wrote: »
    The last one I bought cost me $40.

Try this one at $15. Tiny, accepts the very capable freeware/open source dd-WRT firmware if you want more stability and really fine control, logging, email notifications, more too.
    I have one of these and it has OUTSTANDING wifi coverage and no problems for well over a year now. About double the range of my older NetGear white box, and far more stable. I think I rebooted it last year...
    http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RNX-GX4-802-11b-Wireless-G-Broadband/dp/B003XNN69S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1406511622&sr=8-8&keywords=rosewill+router
    Read the comments there for more info on dd-WRT
  • Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    I like this one [URL] http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-MR3040 [/URL].

It's battery powered, has USB for 3G/4G data card, and can run OpenWRT. It's been the most portable and reliable unit I have come across.
  • Options
    u57jcsu57jcs Posts: 19
    Thanks for your help Guys. As you suggested i used a Router and i was able to communicate with the Controller.

Thanks Again..