Home AMX User Forum AMX Design Tools
Options

Special Characters on TP/TP4

Hi,
I saw a technote (164) that indicates that special characters can be shown by using 2-dig hex code after a carat. I'm missing something. I'm trying to get a degree symbol next to a temperature. So in TPD4, I tried putting "88^B0" on the button text, but in panel preview, I got...uh..."88^B0".

Any suggestions?

-Bill

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    youstra,

I don?t know anything about the ^ carat thing in tech note 164 but if you want to enter 88? for the text of a button at design time enter the following for the text of the button: (You have to first click on the three dots to bring up the ?Enter text?? dialog box ? you just can?t type it in from the properties tab entry.)

Type in 88 and then while holding the ALT key down type in 0176 from keypad of your keyboard and then let go of the ALT key. (You have to make sure the num lock key is on for your keyboard keypad to be active) When you let go of the ALT key the degree symbol will appear.

If you want something like the copyright symbol ? you would hold down the ALT key and then type in 0169 and then let go of the ALT key. If you type in 0174 while holding down the ALT key the registered symbol ? will appear after you let go.

If you want to send 88? to button 1 for all states at run time you can use the ^UNI command:

SEND_COMMAND dvTP, ?^UNI-1,0,0038003800B0?

0038 = ASCII 8 in hex
    0038 = ASCII 8 in hex
    00B0 = 0176 in hex

Hope some of this helps.
  • Options
    The Tech Note you indicated applies only to the AX series of touch panels (G3) It was originally written in 2001, before the introduction of the Modero Series and TPD4.
    The method Joe describes is the same method I use to enter extended characters in a text field in TPD4.
    To determine the number for the character I use MS Word and Select "Symbol" from the "Insert" Menu. When a symbol is selected the character number for that symbol appears in the Status bar at the bottom of the MS Word window along with the Unicode value for that character.

I hope this helps
    PDK
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Keep in mind this is going to vary with your font. Not all Windows fonts have the same character set. G4 panels use the fonts available to TPD4 via Windows.
  • Options
    You are correct. I forgot to mention that in MSWord I set the font to the one I will be using in TPD4 before inserting the character.
  • Options
    You can also run charmap.exe in Windows. It will give you a chart where you pick the font you're using and the special character you want. Click on the character and the Alt-xxxx code will be listed at the lower right of the screen if it's available. You can also double click the character you want and hit the copy button to copy it to your clipboard.

For me this is a little quicker than launching Word, searching for the character using the insert symbol menu then inserting, highlighting it and copying it. Plus, when you select the special character it will tell you what it's called so it sounds like you know what you're talking about when you describe it. For instance, this character ? (Alt-0220) is called a Latin Capital Letter U with Diaeresis... see it almost sounds like I knew that before I looked at the description using charmap :). Lastly, the charmap.exe chart is just like the insert symbol chart in Word but it's a little bit larger which can be helpful after you've been staring at the screen for several hours.

-- John