Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Compiler complaining about module filenames

This is weird and doing my head in.

Created module and saved in Studio as 'SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00.axs'

Windows filename is the same.

It won't compile. Grizzles about the name as follows:
ERROR: C:\blahblah\SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00.axs(1): C10532: File is named [SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00], but module name is [SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1]

No it's not named 'SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1' at all! Windoz Explorer confirms a file called SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00.axs, and,
module_name='SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00'(dev ip_port_num,blahblahblah)

So, tweak the module name to be 'SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1' and it compiles

When I instantiate it, the main code now grizzles about using 'SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1' saying it doesn't exist, but if I tell it to use 'SB&A Avitech Sequoa V1.00' it works.

Seems like the module .axs file is struggling to use the '.00' portion of my revision number declared in module_name even though it was studio who saved a windows filename of the same name!

Anyone seen this?

Have I missed something?

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You may be correct. I tend to avoid dots anywhere in a file name except the suffix. I also avoid actual spaces and use underscores. It's left over from the olden days of yore when Unix didn't like them in file names.
  • Options
    nickmnickm Posts: 152
    ericmedley wrote: »
    You may be correct. I tend to avoid dots anywhere in a file name except the suffix. I also avoid actual spaces and use underscores. It's left over from the olden days of yore when Unix didn't like them in file names.

100% agree with this ^^^. It may be an outdated paranoia, but I just can't bring myself to trust modern filename permissions.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Certainly handles 'V1.00' stlye naming convention correctly with 'program_name'......

I am suspicious about '&' also. In the days of G3 webcontrol, the XML used to freak out and fail when it saw that.

I've not removed the ampersand from the filename to test this theory or perhaps even a combination of both theories yet - Just haven't had a window of opportunity to stop and try it..

Thanks for the replies gentlemen...much appreciated.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Using a '.' in the middle of a filename used to work, but the workspace doesn't like it anymore. Some library wants to treat it as the end of the filename no matter what, and everything after is an extension. It's inconsistent. It works in some places, and some not. So I just use an underscore on minor version numbers.
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Thanks Dave, might need to shift my naming conventions I think, although I do like the legibility of V1.00. Two flavours is just too hard when you're under the pump.

Appreciate the replies...
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    NetLinx Studio doesn't mind dots in "axi" file names, but doesn't like dots int "axs" file names except source files.
    So, for all of my module files I use an underscore in place of a dot.

Yes, it's a strange inconsistency.