Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Netlinx Studio 4.1 not talking to masters

So I was running both NS3 and NS4.0 on my computer. I wanted to get the compile for Netlinx Sublime plugin to work and the docs said I needed the compiler from NS4.1.

So I downloaded NS4.1 and did an install on top of NS4.0.

NS4.1 won't communicate with any master. No diagnostics, online tree or anything. It just gives me the normal "can't communicate" pop up box.

I can communicate with the same masters just fine in NS3.

So far I have done a complete uninstall of NS4.1 and re-install. Didn't work (same problem).

I uninstalled it again and wiped out the entire registry entry for NS and re-installed. Still not communicating (but NS3 is).

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Are you opening same workspace in both ?*Did you check comm settings in NS4*?*perhaps the conversion of the project file messed something in communication settings ?
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    cmason wrote: »
    So I was running both NS3 and NS4.0 on my computer. I wanted to get the compile for Netlinx Sublime plugin to work and the docs said I needed the compiler from NS4.1.
    Thanks.

Out of curiosity are you getting a G++ error? You need to manually set the compiler to Netlinx (at least I had to) <Tools> -> <Build System> -> <Automatic>/<Netlinx> for me it was set to C++. Which I might've done some time ago. (I tried to get it working for Netlinx quite a while ago, but abandoned it because I didn't have the time for it.)

I've just tested my Netlinx studio it's running on version
    f78686b10ff28cbc6e882ab42a4e3e1a.png

For me it communicates with controllers just fine. (My NI-3100 at least)

EDIT:

After installing FileTransfer 2 next to my already installed Netlinx Studio I am also unable to transfer files from Netlinx Studio directly. Debugging however does work.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Posts: 123
    vincen wrote: »
    Are you opening same workspace in both ?*Did you check comm settings in NS4*?*perhaps the conversion of the project file messed something in communication settings ?

Yes, I tried the same workspace and other workspaces. I also tried different master's IP addresses. None of them will connect to NS4.1 but they will all connect to NS3.
  • Options
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    Out of curiosity are you getting a G++ error? You need to manually set the compiler to Netlinx (at least I had to) <Tools> -> <Build System> -> <Automatic>/<Netlinx> for me it was set to C++. Which I might've done some time ago. (I tried to get it working for Netlinx quite a while ago, but abandoned it because I didn't have the time for it.)

I've just tested my Netlinx studio it's running on version
    f78686b10ff28cbc6e882ab42a4e3e1a.png

For me it communicates with controllers just fine. (My NI-3100 at least)

EDIT:

After installing FileTransfer 2 next to my already installed Netlinx Studio I am also unable to transfer files from Netlinx Studio directly. Debugging however does work.

I don't get an error per se. I get the "Connection Failed" pop up, with the options to Retry, Change or Cancel.

I see the version you're running is 4.1.1204 and the version I have installed is 4.1.1251. Could this release be broken? Anyone else out there running 4.1.1251 ?

I'm not sure what you mean about G++ error... If you mean Sublime Text, I have only compiled from Sublime Text (and that worked), no file transferring yet.

The problem I am having is with Master communication (online tree, debug, diagnostics and such) in Netlinx Studio 4.1 itself.

I have not installed File Transfer 2. I was only using Sublime Text for programming and compiling. Since I still need the other functions like Diagnostics and workspace management (unavailable in Sublime Text), I have to use both programs anyhow, so I'm fine with doing the file transfers from NS.
  • Options
    I messed around with it for sometime yesterday, with some strange findings.

I am able to uninstall my broken version of NS 4.1.1251 and install NS 4.0.1017 and all of my communication with the masters works again.

So, I uninstalled my working version of NS 4.0.1017 rebooted and installed NS 4.1.1251... broken...no master communication.

Bottom line.... NS 3 and NS 4.0.1017 work fine... NS 4.1.1251 doesn't work.

I'm putting my money on a broken release.
  • Options
    I am onsite right now using NS 4.1.1251 and it is working just fine.

I have 4 Systems online with numerous TPs and ICSNet devices showing in the online tree.
  • Options

I have 4 Systems online with numerous TPs and ICSNet devices showing in the online tree.

Thanks for responding Jim. I'm not sure what is going on with my installation then.
  • Options

I forgot to ask...what version of Windows are you running it on?

I'm on Windows 7 64...
  • Options
    Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    I forgot to ask...what version of Windows are you running it on?

I'm on Windows 7 64...

For me it's Windows 8 x64

I've downloaded the update, installing now I'll let you know in a jiffy.

Edit:
    Works fine with .1251 as well.
  • Options
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    For me it's Windows 8 x64

I've downloaded the update, installing now I'll let you know in a jiffy.

Thanks Jorde.

Another thing I notice (not sure of it's relavance) is that when I run the compiler from NS 4.1, it says the maximum Token and Variable count is 100000, but the release notes for NS 4.1 say...

"FEATURE REQUEST: Increased the maximum Token/Variable limit from 100,000 to
    200,000 for the NetLinx Compiler."

Why would the 4.1 compiler not report the new maximum?
  • Options
    I am running Win7 Pro 64.

I just noticed that the token/variable count is back to 100000 as well. HMMM

Compiled Code takes 2309588 bytes of memory -- Token and Variable Count is 43387 (Maximum is 100000)

I know before I changed to 4.1.1251 it did say 200000.
  • Options
    As there seems to be no known explanation for why NS 4.1 is broken for me, I have switched back to NS 4.0.
    I ended up copying nlrc.exe version 3.0 from the NS 4.1 and used it to replace nlrc.exe version 2 installed with NS 4.0 so the compiler will work correctly in Sublime Text for the Netlinx plug in.

I'll wait for a newer version of NS 4 to be released and try again. I'm sure that won't be too long as it seems this latest update has something wrong with compiler as it has dropped back to 100,00 tokens/variables.

If anyone else is experiencing problems with this release (4.1.1251) please let me know.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    Weird. I was having the exact same issue running it under wine (see [post=71904]this thread[/post]) and had put it down to some issues due to some issues in there framework and I think @amclain was the same.

Just gave v4.0.1017 a go from within wine and everything works a treat. What's strange is I was running v4.1 in my VM without any issues. Looks like there's definitely something funky in that release.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Not trying to pile on - but just for the sake of information...

I have had zero issues with NS4 on all sorts of masters. Windows 7 machnines.
  • Options
    Checking the APW File

Almost hurts my feelings about a "Broken Release". :)

If possible, I need to see your APW file. Communication library did not really change between 3.5/4.X...just in support of IPv6 and USB. NS might be somewhat confused during the reading of the APW file. I had to change the way I store the comm info between 3.5 and 4.x. But further more, Build 1204 vs 1251...nothing really changed except for some serial COMM stuff, so that really concerns me.

Also, can you "Listen for Masters" at your site to see if it is even picking up the blink messages?

I messed around with it for sometime yesterday, with some strange findings.

I am able to uninstall my broken version of NS 4.1.1251 and install NS 4.0.1017 and all of my communication with the masters works again.

So, I uninstalled my working version of NS 4.0.1017 rebooted and installed NS 4.1.1251... broken...no master communication.

Bottom line.... NS 3 and NS 4.0.1017 work fine... NS 4.1.1251 doesn't work.

I'm putting my money on a broken release.
  • Options
    PhreaK wrote: »
    Weird. I was having the exact same issue running it under wine (see [post=71904]this thread[/post]) and had put it down to some issues due to some issues in there framework and I think @amclain was the same.

NS 4.1.1251 communication works natively on my Win 7 64-bit SP1 machine, but wasn't working in Wine on my Xubuntu 14.04 VM.

@cmason Maybe uninstall all copies of NetLinx Studio and run ccleaner before reinstalling. I think you're on the right track that something's still lurking around in your system.
  • Options
    The wine compatibility may be a completely unrelated issue, however thought the similarities were at least curious. As I said, both versions run without issue in my windows 8.1 VM. When v4.1.x runs through wine the exact same behaviour is witnessed - no outbound comms (however incoming, a.k.a. listen for masters, works).

Thought this was originally due to a partial implementation of the winsock library in the latest wine dev release but then I tried v4.0 and this happened:

Don't think its APW related either. I've been testing with the default workspace communication settings.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    PhreaK wrote: »
    The wine compatibility may be a completely unrelated issue, however thought the similarities were at least curious. As I said, both versions run without issue in my windows 8.1 VM. When v4.1.x runs through wine the exact same behaviour is witnessed - no outbound comms (however incoming, a.k.a. listen for masters, works).
    Which version of Wine are you running ? here Wine 1.7.25 on Ubuntu 14.04
  • Options
    dvalosek wrote: »
    Almost hurts my feelings about a "Broken Release". :)

If possible, I need to see your APW file. Communication library did not really change between 3.5/4.X...just in support of IPv6 and USB. NS might be somewhat confused during the reading of the APW file. I had to change the way I store the comm info between 3.5 and 4.x. But further more, Build 1204 vs 1251...nothing really changed except for some serial COMM stuff, so that really concerns me.

Also, can you "Listen for Masters" at your site to see if it is even picking up the blink messages?

No offense David!

Just like Kim pointed out, it's not APW specific. The last time I installed it, I didn't load or create a new APW, I just setup a new (known good) IP COM settings to a Master and it just refused to connect.

I didn't try the listen for masters, because my office IP is not on the same subnet as any of our masters, and I didn't think the listen protocol would traverse subnets (if I am mistaken please correct me).

I'm offsite today at a client installation, so I don't have time to play with it at the moment. But, I will give it one more whirl when I have a chance.

But for my situation 4.0.1017 works... (using it now). I don't have any version in between to try.

What about the compiler showing only 100K vars/tokens in build 1251?

Thanks!
  • Options
    vincen wrote: »
    Which version of Wine are you running ? here Wine 1.7.25 on Ubuntu 14.04
    I'm running with 1.7.36 on OS X 10.10.2.

@cmason you're on the money with the listen assumption - the masters just shoots out a UDP broadcast every few seconds, so local subnet only.
  • Options
    So I downloaded NS4.1 and did an install on top of NS4.0.

NS4.1 won't communicate with any master. No diagnostics, online tree or anything. It just gives me the normal "can't communicate" pop up box.

You may want to try temporarily disabling Windows Firewall and any anti-virus/malware prevention software that's running. It could be that an exception needs to be added to one of those so NS4.1 isn't blocked.

Also, is the communication failure happening instantly, or does it take a couple seconds to fail? An instant failure is a sign that it can't open a socket on your local machine; a delayed failure is a sign of a networking issue.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Check your communications settings. Make sure it's set to talk to a Netlinx master for Netlinx, and Axcess for Axcess. I had this one bite me the other day ... was going nuts wondering why I couldn't talk to my old Axcess system, and somehow the comms got set to Netlinx.