Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Pronto & PMB-RF

Does anyone know how one can use the Pronto 6000 to integrate it with the PMB-RF?

Comments

• This is just a wild guess but I'm thinking that would be impossible. Even if they had the same RF frequency the receiver would have to understand what the pronto is sending, which I'm pretty sure it does not.

I'm mainly a commercial guy so maybe the resi guys know something I don't.

Just buy a Viewpoint! :p
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    I have heard that this from a number of guys in AMX that this has been done by one of the dealers. I would like to know how
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    RF Remotes

Not sure if this helps, but I am thinking that there are some standards employeed in the RF remote world. I found that the MX-800 by Universal Remote Controls was able to communicate with a hughes HD sattelite receiver without any modifications. This in mind, I would say that it is possible, I just don't know what you would need to do.
    Have you tried simply using the AMX IR codes in the pronto? It surprised me when it worked on the satellite receiver, maybe you'll get the same pleasant surprise.

Jeff
    Yes I have tried using IR and it works great with that. But if I can find a way to use RF it would great. I know that is not easy since each manufacturer do their own RF signal processing even though Pronto is in 418 frequency bandwidth and we can choose PMB-RF in the same frequency.
    Originally posted by kennyann
    Yes I have tried using IR and it works great with that. But if I can find a way to use RF it would great. I know that is not easy since each manufacturer do their own RF signal processing even though Pronto is in 418 frequency bandwidth and we can choose PMB-RF in the same frequency.

I meant set up the IR codes to be transmitted via RF. On the MX-800 and the RTI T2, you have the option of sending the data via IR, RF, or both.... As I am not familiar with the Pronto 6000, I don't know how you distinguish between RF and IR or if it uses the same code for both transmissions. As far as I can tell, both the T2 and the MX-800 both use the same code wether it's IR or RF, the only difference is the carrier frequency. Now, I will be the first to admit that I have absolutely no documentation or personal knowledge to back this up, but the fact that I don't have to learn the code in differently for RF and IR operation tells me that the data is the same. Since you said someone else got the Pronto to work with the PMB-RF, it should be safe to assume that they use similar RF Signal processing.
    On a seperate note, if this is not a solution for yourself, you will save yourself a lot of potential headaches by telling the client that the Pronto is not the device intended to work with the RF receiver and the two choices are use the IR or buy one of the devices designed to work with the PMB-RF. In my experience, making equipment work in ways that it wasn't intended is very cool and fun, but it also opens the doors to little quirks and oddities that will almost never be supported. If it works, you rarely if ever are seen as a hero... it's more of you did your job. If it doesn't work, you will never hear the end of it and any word of mouth advertising by that customer will most likely no be in your favor. I hate to sound like a prude, but this is one of those leasons I had to learn the hard way and fortunately for me I did make sure that the customer knew ahead of time that what I was trying to do was definately more than the product was designed for, but it still caused me plenty of headaches.

Jeff
    Jeff:

I totally agree with you in what you said about using equipment that we know works well together. But sometime customers and integration companies want weird configuration - I do not why - I have warned about issues but they insist.

I will try what you suggest and see whether that works.

Kenny A
    Kenny,

Best of luck and may the force be with you and all those other cliche's too. Let us know if you get it to work.

Jeff