Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

need some help with DVX to DGX communication

hoping someone can provide me some guidance.

I'm using a DVX 3155 as a master and a DGX 8 matrix for all my displays. i want to control the matrix with the control port but i don't get anything when i connect with a PC, and no response when connected to serial port 1 on the DVX. I can control it using IP. I would like to use serial for control due to IP issues on the university network.
Unless I'm wrong on how the matrix works; right now i have my transmitters and receivers setup to use TCP and they each have an IP on a private network. if i move my equipment to the university network i would have to move all the dxlinks to the same network. if i can use serial with the DGX then i don't need as many IP's, since i can leave the DGX and the dxlinks on the private network, just having the DVX and touch panel on the university network.

If I'm wrong, i welcome the education.

Comments

• Options
    Your public vs. private network schema sounds OK. The only thing I can think of is to be sure to explicitly set all the serial parameters for the RS-232 port on the DVX.
  • Options
    RaphayoRaphayo Posts: 111
    I got an issue like that recently. Create a small network with a router. Doing IP reservation with Mac address and create a port forwarding to the master solve my issue. That way, I can still do IP communication.
  • Options
    CedricCedric Posts: 32
    Also if not done, try to make your own RS232 cable, had some issue with the sell in ''public'' RS232 cable
  • Options
    jimhockjimhock Posts: 5
    yeah, i had the DGX set to 5001:1:1 in DEFINE_DEVICE, had it set for 9600,8,n,1,n in the DATA_EVENT. When i disconnect the network, it won't communicate. I've tried both premade and my own wires.
  • Options
    Any feedback from the notification window ?
  • Options
    no, nothing back from the DGX. it shows the DVX sending the commands.
  • Options
    RaphayoRaphayo Posts: 111
    Are you able connecting a PC to the dgx and sending switching command if it's workin
  • Options
    Seems one of the communication RS232 port is down
    so might be your controler, can test any other ?
    or the DGX ?

Or can you test any other device control on the same port ?
  • Options
    I've never used the serial port except through the DGX configuration software. But my understanding was that when you connected it put you in the DGX shell, and from that you have to enter BCS in order to enter the standard switching commands. From looking at the docs, you can send BCS followed by a space and a valid command.

Back in the dark ages, you also had to send a 'RXON' command after you sent the baud rate in the data_event. I would think that the DVX wouldn't need this but who knows. It won't hurt to try.
  • Options
    Thanks, I at least have a couple more things to try now.
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    Is that a fresh DGX?

The baud rate for the control RS232 port changed from 9600 to 115200 when the NX integrated DGX masters began shipping.

I have manuals from both versions and the baud rate changed between both.

To check the master version telnet into the DGX and if the firmware version on the splash screen is 4.x.x it is NI and 1.x.x is NX.