Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Popup Question

I know that in programming I can have the master open a popup page when the panel comes online to indicate that the panel is online and ready for use. I am wondering if there is a way to have the panel open a popup when communication to the master is lost. I already have the leds flashing on the side of the MVP-7500 at a slow pace (once every couple seconds) to indicate a connection, but I would rather have the panel open a popup page that tells the customer the panel has lost communication and also list a couple of things to try (like take the panel back to you house instead of trying to use it at your cabin) and maybe (if I feel like a real gluten for punishment) a contact number to reach me. OHH! Even better would be the ability to do a different popup based on the time of day (anywhere between midnight and 7am, my cell phone number would NOT be included ;) )

Just some thoughts I had and decided to throw out to the masses.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Jeff,

That's a great idea! As far as I now, it is not possible with the current firmware of the Modero. We should ask AMX if this could be added in the next release of the firmware.

Regards, Leon
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Hi Jeff
    Very cool idea.(AMX needs to start the idea for the week club or something) With that said, I agree with ,Leon ten Brundel, that the present firmware does not support this feature. The panel would have to be able to monitor the Axlink and when it is lost then call the pop up on. Then when it is restored shut it off. It would also have to be smart enough to verify that the axlink is missing and just not a hiccup.
  • Options
    Please find attached an idea how the setup could look like.
    If AMX added a Disconnecd Page flip (popup) box. You can determine after how many seconds that the connection has been lost the popup page will appear. And determine yourself which popup page should be shown.
  • Options
    Look pretty good. I don't think that it would take to much to upgrade the firmware to do this.Perhaps a beta test with the Mondero panels.( They are flash firmware I think?)
  • Options
    Today, I received an email from Fabrice Labrouche. For some reason he is not able to reply. This is what he suggested and uses in France:

It is is really cool work around to get the same result:

The basic idea is to make advantage of the fact that buttons go OFF when the panels becomes OFFLINE.

After you have finished you Touch panel file, create one big button (that looks like the popup we want). Give it an channel numer 1000, and also set the feedback to channel. Change all the colors in the OFF state to transparant, and Change the colors in the ON state as you desire. Type in your message in the OFF state. In the General Tab you should not forget to change the Touche style to Pass Through, to allow the touch to be passed through your button to the buttons underneath.

After creating the button, you will need to copy this button to every page!

Now you have to write some code to finish it all.

DATA_EVENT[dvMVP]
    {
    ON :
    {
    ON[dvMVP,1000]
    }
    }

This will bring button 1000 in the ON state when it is connected. This means our button will be transparant (ON state)

When the panel has no connection the Button will be in the OFF state and visible to the end-user, showing the message that the panel has no connection. When the panel becomes within range of the WAP, the connection will be restored and the button will disappear.

It's a real cool workaround, the backside is that you need to have the same button copied on every page, This makes editing the page after the installation more work.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    What I've done is just copied the connection button from the system template and put it on an options page that also includes a Reboot button. If the panel becomes unresponsive, the customer can check it there and reboot if necessary.
  • Options
    I've tried the button idea on my mvp-8400 and it didn't work. none of the buttons went to the off state when out of range.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I just tried it here, and it seemed to work fine. When connected, it's a slow blink - my guess is you went out of range when it was in the on state, so it never got the channel update to turn it off. You can't really go by whether it's on or off, you have to watch for the blink.
  • Options
    It sounds like the panels really need this process to be performed in the firmware to be reliable enough to offer it to any client as a built in troubleshooting feature. Another feature that would be very handy is when a panel drops it memory, to have a splash page that states the panel has loss its memory and who to contact to fix it. Make this splash page so it can be toggled on/off and password protected to keep clients out of the setup pages.
  • Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    Another feature that would be very handy is when a panel drops it memory, to have a splash page that states the panel has loss its memory and who to contact to fix it.

Hmm, I imagine the contact info must be stored in memory... hence if you have lost it, how can you put it up?

I am just wondering how to implement in practice this otherwise nice feature. That probably requires some other special memory for that info and that makes it an expensive option. A sticker below the panel maybe cheaper :-)

My two cents

Fred
  • Options
    True, the info would have to be stored in a different location that would remain even after a memory drop or factory reset. The amount of memory for a simple basic text message would be very small. The older panels had a spot for a text message for the panel in 'sleep/wake' mode I believe. Does anyone know if the text is erased after a memory drop, I don't have a panel close by to try. If it does then a little circuit rewire at R&D might correct it.