Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Studio 2.4: Should I?

I have been holding off on the move to Studio 2.4 because I am at the tail end of a large project and I don't want to introduce any new "features" to it. The question I have after monitoring the problems thread is: Are there any features in 2.4 that make it worthwhile to install immediately? I know that in order to compile java modules, I need 2.4. Is there anything else, should I wait for some hot fixes or the next version, or am I getting the wrong impression of 2.4?

Thanks,
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    In my opinion, hold off a bit.
  • Options
    B_Clements wrote:
    In my opinion, hold off a bit.

I agree. Wait until we get a patch for Studio 2.4. If you are not have to compile Java Java files, You'll get - sorry - too much disadvantages at the moment....

If you want to use DUET modules from InCOncert, this is still possible with Studio 2.3
  • Options
    Hold off Jeff. There seems to be some issues that really need addressing. ;)
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    If you want to use DUET modules from InCOncert, this is still possible with Studio 2.3

Not sure what I need to change, or if the .jar file was missing something, but I did have problems trying to use a DUET module from the InConcert section with v2.3.

Jeff
  • Options
    trobertstroberts Posts: 228
    I have upgraded to 2.4 last week and so far no problems. However I am not using any java in my programs yet.
  • Options
    I also have been using v2.4 with no major NetLinx issues:

1. The find window problem that seems to be our #1 complaint doesn't affect me because I always hit Ctrl-Home to go up to the top before searching.
    A holdover from using AxcessX.
    2. I don't seem to be affected by the speed issues that others seem to be having.
    3. Even though there are some issues, there have been a number of minor bug fixes and enhancements. See the readme.

4. However, thanks to Dickster's Axcess code, we have found we have re-introduced an Axcess compiler problem.
    If you have upgraded to v2.4 and need the v2.0.0.143 Axcess compiler, please email me guy.minervini@amx.com and and I will send it to you with instructions for installing it.

I see only 2 compelling reasons to upgrade at this time:
    1. If you're using a Duet module created with the v1.5 Duet Runtime, you must upgrade to v2.4.
    2. If you want to use the new Unicode functions, you must upgrade to v2.4.

I agree with Brian - if you're at the end of long project and everything's working well for you with v2.3, stay with v2.3 for now.
    However, if someone has already installed v2.4 - I would not roll back, especially if you're not noticing any issues (other than the Axcess compiler issue which is easily fixed).
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I had no plans of switching until the project finishes (hopefully the end of this week), I was just debating if I should upgrade after. I think given the clarification of the major problems, I will most likely make the move. I don't do any programming with axcess and I can deal with a few quirks with the find function if there are bug fixes. As for the speed, a few seconds here and there will give me time to reflect on life (and consume more caffeine).

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The speed issue doesn't fuss me, on my machine it's not even a speed bump. The screen flashes for a second, and I'm back to coding. Guy hooked me up with the Axcess compiler DLL that isn't affected, so the only outstanding issue I have is with the search feature. I can live with it, it's more annoying than anything else.
  • Options
    Well I guess the fact that 2.4 is now missing from the AMX website is enough of an answer. Although I havent had any problems with 2.4, I havent been doing any hardcore programming or troubleshooting yet. Anyone know when 2.4x will be released? My company is about to roll out about 10 laptops to 10 new techs with the newest rev of Netlinx Studio, but I have no file to give them.
  • Options
    Well now that 2.4 is back on the web site. Does anyone know if this is a revision or is it the same rev people have been complaining of?
  • Options
    The v2.4 now on the website is a new build 126, the "other" one was build 123.

Studio Build 126 has these improvements over build 123:

BUG FIX - Find dialog wasn't retaining the state of its various options.

BUG FIX - Axcess Compiler was not the correct version.

BUG FIX/FEATURE - Added a checkbox to NetLinx Compiler Option for enabling or disabling the _WC preprocessor when running the NetLinx compiler.
    This is now, by default, disabled. If you wish to develop for UNICODE languages using the _WC macros, you will need to turn this option on. Otherwise, you can turn it off.
    The NetLinx compiler is faster with this option disabled.

BUG FIX - Enhancements to the speed of the source code lexer.
  • Options
    Looks Good

I just installed Studio 2.4 build 126 on my notebook running XP Pro SP2. I am happy to report all went well with the install.

After a brief test, the problems I previously experienced have been addressed as per Guy's post.

I plan on putting the program into service for my programming needs.

I will be anxious to hear what the rest of you think.

Brian
  • Options
    I have tried to install v2.4 build 123 and NetLinx Studio delete userinit.exe under \windows\system32. The result is windows log me off immediately after log in. I need to copy back the file from somewhere for windows back to normal.

Now, I install build 126 after build 123 was install and found compilation error.

Anyone has the same problem I have?
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Installed 2.4, and it did something that drove me up the wall. My custom toolbars are gone. Perhaps in the next revision, they'll have a way to back up ALL of your personal settings, including custom toolbars. Their just registry keys . . .

Otherwise, things look good.