Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

File Transfer Suggestion

Hello, I have a suggestion for the people that publish NetLinx Studio.

The most annoying thing about the Studio program - which is mostly excellent btw - happens to me often when I'm transferring files to a Master. Specifically, I'm sending a token and a TP4 file at the same time. I've left the TP4 open in the background because I was working on it, so I get an alert saying the thing can't be transferred because it's open. Fair enough.

But then after clicking OK I have to wait until the token gets sent and the Master reboots before I can attempt to send the TP4 file again! This happens to me a lot because I often lose track of whether a TP4 file is open, and when this happens it doubles the amount of time I have to wait to see the results of my latest work.

This problem could easily be solved by Studio giving me the opportunity to abort the transfer if it discovers that it is trying to send an open file. As it is now, the transfer isn't started yet, but the program only offers me an OK button, which I must click, and then look on in horror as the token shoots across. Again, if there were an 'Abort Transfer' button at this point it would save me a lot of time.

Thanks.
`mp

Comments

• Options
    JoeJoe Posts: 99
    Yes, what he said!
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This is not so much a solution, but a workaround: if you have TPD4 open, just just it for your transfers. It has a relatively robust transfoer module, and will allow you to queue multiple files if they are connected to the same master. TPD4 makes a working copy of your file before initiating the transfer, so your original can stay open without any sharing violations.
  • Options
    Strange differences

I have one particular .tp4 that renders differently depending on which program transfered it to the panel. When uploaded via Studio it doesn't look anything like what I have in TP4. When transfered with TP4 it looks and operates perfectly. I've never been to concerned with "why" as I use TP4 for all transfers now.

[BTW, all options (ie.. full transfer, etc..) are the same]

As DHawthorne said, it's more convenient any way.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I personally like to transfer through Studio. I've never run into any issues transfering files to panels in Studio, though we all know that we can run into issues transfering files through TPD4 (not trying to open a can of worms, but remember that one thread? :)) I've had plenty of crashes when transfering with TPD4. (Thought not recently for some odd reason - more issues with Studio).

Anyway, I thirdly agree with being able to transfer the TP file even though it's open.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    jjames wrote:
    Anyway, I thirdly agree with being able to transfer the TP file even though it's open.

I can understand if are potentially fatal complications to transferring a file that is being edited. I don't expect NetLinx Studio to be OK with that.

I just can't understand why Studio forces you to go through with the transfer once you discover that it won't be able to send the file.

I wonder if it would be faster to force-quit Studio next time that happens.
  • Options
    File Transfer Cancel Options
    mpullin wrote:
    I can understand if are potentially fatal complications to transferring a file that is being edited. I don't expect NetLinx Studio to be OK with that.

I just can't understand why Studio forces you to go through with the transfer once you discover that it won't be able to send the file.

I wonder if it would be faster to force-quit Studio next time that happens.

Right-mouse click within the "File Transfer Status" pane of the output bar. The context-menu have the following options for canceling file transfers:

Cancel Current Transfer
    Cancel Selected Transfer Items
    Cancel Remaining Transfer Items
    Cancel All Transfer Items.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Okay, that might be a bit faster than force quitting it. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Still, it would be nice if there were a way to prevent that transfer from starting...