Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Lurking?

Are you lurking? Afraid to post because you think everyone will laugh at you? Not sure what to say? Worried about shaming yourself and your friends? Just do like me, type first, think second. I can't speak for everyone, but I love answering those simple questions like: How many amps does the NXD-CV12 use? They keep me on my toes and they also provide the chance for someone that is calculating it one way to possibly see a new way of doing it. Of course, you might have the occasional frustrated programmer that posts a link to the search engine on the amx.com website, but so far it seems like the registration process has kept the flamers at bay. I only mention this because I am taking another short break from programming and in my brief search didn't see this mentioned.

In my years of using online forums, there is always someone that doesn't like your post for one reason or another and because of the lack of true confrontation online, they often speak their mind at great length and with overwhelming ammounts of drama. I'm here to say don't worry about that and focus on the good that comes with every questions that is asked and every suggestion that is made. This forum is only as good as the questions and topics that are discussed in it. I hereby challenge EVERYONE that is out there lurking to post at least one message, be it a question you have, a question you had, but found an answer to, a question you don't even know you have yet ;) or even a simple "Hello World! My name is Jeff"
(or in Netlinx code if you prefer:
SEND_COMMAND dvFORUM,"'^BMF-',ITOA(CURRENT_MESSAGE_NUMBER),',1&2,%SW1,%THello World! My name is ', sMY_NAME "

)

This message was brought to you by Caffeine and is sponsored by a lack of sleep.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    One thing I forgot... It has been mentioned elsewhere, but if you do not see where to type your message, scroll all the way to the right in explore (or whatever browser you use). I know that AMX is aware of the problem and they are dealing with it, but it sure confused the heck out of me the first time I visited.

Jeff
  • Options
    sounds like words from an experienced forum user :)

here here.. i second it.. any bits of information you have may seem trivial or insignificant, but may save someone hours/days/weeks of work.

i know i've been able to solve many problems by using contributions from other people working at the coal face. not just AMX products either. if i was to rely solely on standard channels of information i would not have found solutions, or would still be waiting for conclusive answers.

flaming certainly happens. do what i do.. fight back :) but in general the flaming can help prod the mind into gear as well :)
    even the most knowledgable peple can slip up, miss something or mis-diagnos. in which case, a little flame can help you think from another perspective.

i do see some threads that never get a response. one reason for this may be the subject heading. dont open a post with generic titles like... 'can someone help with this ?'
    actually state quite clearly what your subject/question is. think like a search engine when creating sentences and headings.
    if you frame you subjects correctly other people will find it easily.
    other reasons for no responses may be that no one literally knows, or that you've asked for something that can be found with a good read of a manual or somewhere else in the forum.

looking forward to hearing more from you all.
  • Options
    Excellent thread Jeff. I've posted a few questions that probley seemed pretty simple(okay all of them) for others but a real issue for me. On average you get polite responses that do help you but as I tell my sons all the time that there is and always will be 1 " Esso bee " in every crowd and deal with it.

Someday I must read the programming manual so I can post smarter treads and look more itelligent. Does AMX has a picture book yet for programming?
  • Options
    Originally posted by RichardHamilton
    flaming certainly happens.

Oh come on - I've never seen flaming in these forums. :)

- Chip
  • Options
    Originally posted by Thomas Hayes
    Does AMX has a picture book yet for programming?

Pictures? You must be thinking of that other control system. :)

- Chip (never instigates)
  • Options
    Were are the pictures?