Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Programming Conventions: Channel IDs

I remember seeing an AMX list somewhere of conventions for channel numbering for dfft transports, etc. So that channel x = power on, y = power off, z = mute across all devices.

Now that I actually could use the guidelines, I can't find them anywhere. Can someone post this?

Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Hi Bill,

Here is one place you can find it:

Tech Center --> Tech Docs --> Instruction Manuals --> IRIS Infrared/Serial Data Capture Unit --> page 10.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Isn't there an extended list that goes above 42?

44 - menu
    45 - up
    46 - down
    47 - left
    48 - right
    49 - enter / select
    etc.,etc.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I don't recall that the extended list, if it was ever actually "approved" was followed very consistently. I've only seen the channels from 1-28 show any degree of conformance.

IREdit added the template model to the equation, and made the next step in defining what channels should be used for specific types of devices. However, it makes no attempt at backwards compatibility for older files (not that I think it could), and hasn't seemed to pick up any real ongoing conformance either.

I just stick to old habits: use 1-28 as defined in the above posted document, then 30-100 for everything. I tend to start with navigation, then just learn things in as they appear on the remote. I make my panel channels the same as the IR channel for these functions, and use a direct mapping, so if the IR file changes, I just edit the panel and no code changes are necessary.
  • Options
    Naming Conventions - The new standards

If anyone is truly interested in following a standard, check out the defined functions from the the Duet SNAPI router. These can be found under HELP in NetLinx Studio >=2.3.

The name of the Help file is Standard NetLinx API Help. Expand the Contents tab and review the SNAPI Components and SNAPI Devices for channel details.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    With the Duet SNAPI, it is going to become far more important to adhere to a standard. Not doing so will simply break a Duet module that depends on it.