Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Shortcuts in AMX Programming

I am wondering what you guys in forum think about getting AMX do some short cuts in the AMX programming. Ex - Integer can be int like most other higher level programming languaues. If you all have any other suggestions please list them here so that AMX can review and maybe add them in the next Complier update.

Comments

• Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    My Message form is working!

Not sure if it just got fixed or if the caffeine is wearing off too soon, but I just went to scroll to the right to post my reply and there was no scroll bar! Way to go AMX, I didn't doubt you for a second.

Anywho, as to the int as a shortcut for integer. It has been so long since I did any C++ programming that the intricacies of the language are but a vague memory. If I try real hard, I still sort of remember semi-colons after everything and the int declarations and even some things about pointers, but as for it being second nature to me, I got lucky. The autocomplete feature as it worked before the update was mostly sufficient for my normal usage and since the new version, I can't think of the autocomplete being any better. Actually, now that I stop and think about it, Integer is really INT<TAB> for me so I guess I almost use int as integer. I do understand were you are coming from tho and I wonder if instead of AMX adding things like int = integer, maybe they could add a custom tag list to the editor/compiler. Sort of like in Linux you can alias a command you makeup to execute a system command. All the compiler would do is first run through your program and replace your command with the AMX command. This would allow people to use the definitions as they are familiar with them and would remove the need for AMX to constantly update the compiler and also reduce the possibility of one person's requested compiler directive interferring with another person's variable name......

Jeff
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    Yes it is easier to use the Studio's autocomplet fucntionality. But I am used to using int and others. ONce in a while I tend type that in and forgot about until I did complie. I guess I just need to get used to doing in AMX programming and watch myself when I am in other languages.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Getting used to AMX program may be easiest for AMX, but as I think about it, having the ability to add your own keywords as aliases for actual AMX commands shouldn't be too difficult (Atleast from my uniformed and uninvolved perspective as applies to the editor/compiler) and if there are a lot of people that are coming from a specific language background, they could even write a common association file. I know I've seen this done before in some regards between c and maybe it was pascal.... might be something to add to a wish list.

Jeff
  • frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    I just tried and doing

#define int INTEGER

DEFINE_CONSTANT

int TEST = 4;

seems to compile...

Fred