Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Video Server AXIS bandwidth and MVP

I tested an AXIS 241S video server with a MVP8400 and it works great for security cameras video and feedback for video distributed sources. I used a CIF(352x240) resolution for a preview window and then when you touch that video window it shows a 2CIFEXP(704x480). So basically, after my calculations I got close to 3 Mibts/sec of bandwidth for the 2 resolutions mentioned above.

THE QUESTION IS: Does this bandwidth affects the MVP regular communications with the Access Point AP, and consequently with the Netlinx Master? Since the MVPs are limitted to B wireless (max 11 Mbits/sec) and I would like to use 4 AXIS 241S servers with 9 MVPs, will that be a problem?

Any comments or suggestions from people using video servers with multiple MVPs will be very appreciated. Thanks,

Ricardo W. Siqueira
Advanced Anomaly

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Yes, it's going to effect the rest of the communications. It's all going through the same pipe, after all. Whether it's enough to matter is another question. Normal control communications packets are tiny, and widely spaced. It's hard to do enough with the rest of the link to impede them. I think you can get away with a great deal of video streaming before you will see an effect on the control side. However, if the WAP is used for a computer that is running something like a browser, you are far more likely to see a slowdown there. The MVP will pull the entire WAP to 802.11b, and a WAP is not like a network switch, it's going to broadcast everything it gets. So other devices are going to be affected if their connection is through the WAP.

But the other side of this is that our panels aren't going to be pulling the video stream from the Axis unless that particular page is up, so it's not like all your panels are going to be making the demand at once. I'm using a setup that has 5 MVP's and two Axis servers, and never had an issue with it, even though the customer also uses the MVP's WAP for his laptop. He has noticed the slowdown on his laptop, but it's not enough to matter as long as he doesn't leave all the panels on the camera page at once.
  • Options
    Thanks Dave for replying to my post. You're a very active and valuable contributor to the AMX Forum. I've seen you replying to inumerous posts here throughout the year. We appreciate very much all your input.