Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Visual Architech ?

So, I am wondering what the status of VA is?

The web site says that VA will be released in December, and I have quite a bit of single master systems coming up in the next few months. Will VA be released soon? I would like to get a good look at VA before i start these new programs.

Paul

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Almost halfway through December, and still no reply to this post.... I am wondering if there might be a delay in it's release :(

Didn't see any new info regarding VA on the website, but I could have missed it.

Jeff
  • Options
    Off product abit but do you know if they have released the 5" Modero panels? I thought they were due for release this month also. :confused:
  • Options
    I've heard throught the grape vine the release date for architech is 30 December. My source has been reliable in the past. Just passing on the info (rumor?).
    Dana
  • Options
    Does not leave much time to learn and program those new projects. Looks like another New years eve behind the computer Oh well at least there is still a party to watch on TV, a shot of Jack, a lamp shade for a hat and another year down. :D
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Ya, That is pretty much it Thomas. I wish they would release stuff at the begining of the month instead of the end, or at least let us know that this stuff is delayed.

Oh well.

Pauld
  • Options
    Well, I heard a rumor that the VA project has been delayed and VA isn't expected to be released until Feb 06. There is a VERY small chance it will be ready end of Jan 06, but most likely Feb.

I have mixed feelings. First, I would like to get an official word on this rumor. Second, I'm obviously a little disappointed. Third, and most importantly, I am glad they aren't throwing out a program filled with bugs just to meet a deadline. I understand that there will be issues that arise in the software, but I'm willing to wait a month or two if it means that the big bugs are gone.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Yes, an offical word even to state that there is a production delay would be nice. I wish AMX and many other companies would have a fully working product (a few minor bugs are to be expected) before they even release a release date. Then release the product ahead of schedule and no one is the wiser and everyone thinks you rock.
  • Options
    Just wondering if there is any update on the status of VA?

Jeff
  • Options
    Visual Architect

I had the same question about a week ago, so I checked with my friendly tech support at AMX. The official (?) word from Marketing was that they had feedback from focus groups that required the addition of more features. Now the release date is late March. Of course, this is at least second hand info, so take it for what it is. It seems that VA has gotten a lot of people's attention.

That's all that I know.

Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC
  • Options
    ipssheldon wrote:
    I had the same question about a week ago, so I checked with my friendly tech support at AMX. The official (?) word from Marketing was that they had feedback from focus groups that required the addition of more features. Now the release date is late March. Of course, this is at least second hand info, so take it for what it is. It seems that VA has gotten a lot of people's attention.

That's all that I know.

Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC

This is also the information distributors have. Release end of March.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it been better to hold off the release and even announcing a new product till all of the R&D and add-ons were complete. By pushing the release date back again it makes the product appear to have a flaw in it even before it's out.
    P.S. By NO means am I being critical of AMX or it products but just rather making a observation as if I was a consumer/end user looking from the outside in.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this has a lot to do with the VA survey I took a couple of months ago. I got a powerpoint printout of what the results were (as far as what manufacturers everyone uses).

So while the survey should have been taken earlier, hopefully it will lead to a more useful product.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    Personally, I would prefer for VA to be delayed and right, than delivered otherwise. And yes, you could argue that maybe they shouldn't have said anything early on, but then they would likely not have gotten the feedback that they have. Or there would be lots of rumors and whispers that can be even more damaging, than being up front and honest. I guess that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Plenty of manufacturers rush products to market simply because the marketing dept. released an announcement. Hopefully, AMX won't do that and will get it right first. Only time will tell.

Sheldon Samuels
  • Options
    I know that I had asked many years back to be a beta test site for AMX but they seemed far to secretive about what they were releasing. A well written and signed legal document would prevent any leakage of info about a product until it was ready for release. I'm a firm believer in real world testing under real conditions.
  • Options
    ipssheldon wrote:
    .... being up front ....

That is the only problem I have with your comment. The majority of the information I have received regarding VA has been from rumors and uncertainties. I think that some simple communication (be it in these forums, or on the VA page of the website) from AMX addressing the status of VA could go a long way. The communication doesn't even have to be detailed, It could be something as simple as:

The release of VA has been delayed as a result of the latest beta testing. We are implementing some new features to make the product easier to use for all dealers. We are currently estimating the current changes to be completed by March 15th and expect the beta tests on the new features to be completed by March 31st. We will keep you updated regarding any further delays.

IMHO, this message doesn't 'leak' any specific information and it shows that the project is still in development. One might argue that such updates could lead to rumors about what is the real delay or complaints about another deadline being missed, but I would have to say that those rumors and complaints are already present.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff
  • Options
    Agreed. It is always the battle between engineers and marketers to tell too much or too little. Which is better? Depends on your perspective, I guess.

Plus by not telling us anything, it gives us so much good material to discuss in forums like this. :)

Enjoy.
    Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Anything on this being released at the end of this month official or rumour?
  • Options
    Not sure about this month, but AMX is announcing classes on VA at infocomm in June, so I would imagine that the product will be released sometime before then.

http://infocomm.amx.com/index.htm

Discover AMX Visual Architect: The end-to-end solution
    June 6 ? 10:30am ? 12:30pm
    June 7 ? 10:30am ? 12:30pm

Designing and developing a control system just got easier with AMX's Visual Architect. Now you have one comprehensive software package that eliminates the need to write a single line of code when using a single NetLinx master system. In this 90-minute session, we will take a control system from the initial system design and user interface development all the way through the automatically generating and loading of files on the master. With Visual Architect, the tools you need to quickly and easily create control systems are available in one powerful package!

Jeff
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Heads Up

Has anybody checked out AMX.Com lately?, They have posted new versions of, well... just about everything. Some of the comments say," add support for VA".

Paul
  • Options
    Order Now!

VA will only be released on a CD that the dealer must place an order for.

NSS-VA, FG3002-21, at a cost of $0.00.

VA will not be available for download as the files are very large and AMX wishes to track who is using it.
  • Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    Thanks for the info, Brian. I am eager to get ahold of this and see just how well it will do.