Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Studio 2.5 Feature Requests / Suggestions

Okay, here we go. Now that the dust has begun to settle for Studio 2.4, I think it might be time to start throwing some ideas out for Studio 2.5 . . .

I feel there are necessities, and wants. I'll put my in order from needs to wants.

NEEDS
1) Shared variables / functions / calls in INCLUDE files - the calls, functions, variables, constants, all of that should be shared across the entire project. The reasons should be obvious. If I have a general INCLUDE file full of variables I use from project to project, I need to have those variables or calls highlighted just like anything else in the source I'm working on. These functions, variables & calls need to be in the auto-complete as well.

2) Need to fix the search function as noted by OP. I run into the problem every now and then as well, and it seems to spiratic. This does not seem to be a major problem, and should perhaps be addressed in 2.5, but a patch would be nice too. :)

3) Unused Variables - I've never worked with Axcess code, but in the compiler for Studio 2.4, there's a setting to warn if a variable is not used. My question is, why was it dropped?

4) I need the ability to auto-reconnect when I fall offline while monitoring Diagnostics or Notifications. Perhaps this could be an option in preferences? Such as: Try [three] attempts at [sixty] second intervals?

5) Compiling errors need to be more descrptive and accurate. I'll have an error and it brings me to line above or below the error; please take me to the line that has caused the error. Also, if I'm missing a closing bracket, tell me; don't take me to the next DEFINE_WHATEVER or WHATEVER_EVENT. Things like this need to be addresses. Multiple syntax errors would be nice; don't stop if you see just one.

WANTS
1) I want the ability to turn on and off underlining in my Syntax Highlighting. I know for a fact this capability exists. Why not have it right there rather than having to dig for it?

2) Code Beautifier - okay, this is a BIG WANT, but I'm sure I probably won't see it for a while. Please refer to this post. There are several code formatters out there, but all have been made for C++, C#, VB, JS, Java, etc. and you can't put in your own language with ease.

Take this all for what it's worth. These are all just ideas in process, and is all in a humble opinion. I could never write any code like the AMX software engineers do, and truly appreciate the hard work they all put in. We all could be dealing with software that DOESN'T WORK, but we're not. So I'm proud and honored to say that I work with AMX products when it comes down to the line. Hats off again to everyone who has helped make Studio and all the other software products possible. They really do make our jobs easier.

Comments

• Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    1) When functions are defined multiple times you get the below compiler error:

ERROR: (0): C10580: Internal Error: Major system error occurred during code generation

The compiler should find the duplicate function like it does with constants which are defined multiple times as below:

ERROR: C:\AMX\include\Mod_Functions.axi(15): C10220: Symbol [VERSION_FUNCTION] already defined in current scope

2) Be able to view strings to and from IP devices in the Notifications. I can overcome this by creating a virtual device and redirecting all strings to it, then viewing the virtual device. It'd be nicer not to have to.

3) x+=y; and a=b?x:y; Unnecessary but I like shorthand.

DUET will take a long time to replace NS and I am too cheap to buy DUET, so please don't shelve it for development.
    Please don't dissrespect AMX programmers by saying they can't handle improvements to Studio, as we don't have to use new language features.

NS is a fantastic IDE, I often use it as a text editor for features such as the block copying and sequential numbering. Each new version has a lot more improvements than bugs, unlike window$.