Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Dotted Windows user names, issue and workaround

Dear Forum,

Let me introduce myself as a late newbee to AMX Netlinx. I already find this an easy to use but extremely powerful language to get things working. My version of Netlinx Studio is 4.1.1251.

However, there's a small issue which might get your attention for future releases. As well as ours nowadays many companies use people's e-mail addresses as their login user names. As it happens those names are given dots as delimeters, e.g. firstname.lastname@acme.com . Therefore the user's temporary folder may often be found here: C:\Users\firstname.lastname\AppData\Local\Temp or even C:\Users\firstname.lastname@acme.com\AppData\Local \Temp . I haven't tested the path including the at-sign though. Netlinx Studio already doesn't like the first one because of its dot.

This issue can be worked around changing your system's TEMP and TMP environmental variables to something simple like C:\TEMP . Even C:\verylongbutnodotsinvolved works fine so the dots seem the cause of trouble.

You may want to test each and every changing of your system's temporary folder by restarting Netlinx Studio and seeing it putting some files there. Nothing would happen unless came to open an embedded Telnet session by clicking your mouse's right button on a system's entry in your project's workspace then "Telnet Window" - "Launch Telnet Window via Netlinx Studio". This definitely will make your system crash describing a path similar to firstna~1me .

Please be aware that every change of your temporary folder will cause the loss of certain of Netlinx Studio's settings such as latest used IP addresses.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards
Bruno